News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Thinking of playing BG2 again

Started by Josquius, August 26, 2009, 11:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

So, I'm thinking of starting to play BG2 again, I never did finish it back when it was new and never had the add-on.
I'm going to go a different route to my old ranger Josquius and try and see what its like with something else, maybe a fighter as they have the coolest stronghold or possibly a mage for all the spelly goodness (though the constant game overs will suck).

Before I start though- what mods are there are out there that are worth using?
Are there any must installs?
Right now dungeon be gone is all that springs to mind, there's too much of other stuff...
██████
██████
██████

saskganesh

I never understood the need for Dungeon Be Gone, as I like that first dungeon.

There's a shitload of NPCs and Romance add-ons. Much to taste/flavour. Most NPC's suck (bad acting, bad scripting). Avoid the 15 year old female paladin pedophile mod. I do recommend Kelsey, as he is well integrated and is a sorcerer, which is really handy (but if you play a female char he will insinuate his way into a romance as a stealth "nice guy"; kinda slimey really).  Recommend Nalia and Edwin Romance mods, but I do not know if they are compatible; not that they need to be, as romancing a LE Male mage and a CG Female Mage/Thief is pretty much impossible in the same game.

If you want the Keep as your stronghold the Nalia Romance makes sense to have. It takes a while, but is easy: just be nice to her.

Unfinished Business for sure. Romantic Encounters (one night stands) adds flavour. I play with a paperdolls mod that makes the character display screen look like BG1. I like that.

Stay away from any Tactics mods. They seem to be for uber players who need a new challenge after winning the game 20 times from Sunday.

Gibberlings3 and Pocketplane group should have all the above and more.

For portraits, I usually goto deviantart, find something I like, and edit it in.

Right now I am stuck in chapter 3.  I find it hard to pick up an epic game after a break, and the spell combos you need can get complex, so I tend to start over.
humans were created in their own image

barkdreg

I quite like the tactics mod. Some of the options are quite over the top but it does have some cool battles.

Fixpack and tweak pack from gibberlings 3 are good.
Also get shadowkeeper for easy savegame editing when something goes wrong thanks to a surviving bug.
Unfinished business, the banter pack, quest pack and virtue  from pocketplane are also good
I would stay away from major mods until you finished the game at least once. After that use the ascencion and redemption mods.

http://rogue.rebalancing.googlepages.com/README_RR.HTML#intro
Rogue rebalancing is good if you decide to play as a thievish character.

Lettow77

Tactics mods arent that hard, man up. Weimar 4tw. There's a ton of potrait packs- the missus could help you.

Definetely get the banter pack, virtue and unfinished business. You might want a romance mod, or an NPC mod, as they tend to add alot.  Kelsey is good, as was said, but im a fan of Mirrabo's imoen mod.

I've heard good things about the xan romance, if your into that sort of thing. Keto is my favourite non-romance mod NPC
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

saskganesh

Tactics is probably less hard if you know in advance what monster and what spellcaster is behind what corner/door and you rest before every single encounter so you are at full hits and full spells every time and have buffed accordingly.

not for everyone.

Josquius

Quote from: saskganesh on August 26, 2009, 02:58:27 PM
Tactics is probably less hard if you know in advance what monster and what spellcaster is behind what corner/door and you rest before every single encounter so you are at full hits and full spells every time and have buffed accordingly.

not for everyone.

Totally not for me.
I always seem to have a thing about resting as little as possible and thinking the day count is my enemy.
██████
██████
██████

saskganesh

Quote from: Tyr on August 26, 2009, 02:59:41 PM

not for everyone.

Totally not for me.
I always seem to have a thing about resting as little as possible and thinking the day count is my enemy.

same. I play until my characters are tired or until they are out of healing, spells and getting low on hit points. it's fun conserving resources, and out of necessity trying out underused scrolls, spells and abilities at the day's last encounter. that's tactics to me.

Sahib

not for everyone.

Yeah. It seemed like you need to specifically prepare for every encounter. Totally gamey.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

sbr

Lucidor

I got the pack with the original game, second game and the expansions a year ago. I started with the first game, but somehow lost interest (excellent writing, though). Is the second one better, and is it recomended I go straight to that?

Josquius

Quote from: Lucidor on August 27, 2009, 04:14:35 AM
I got the pack with the original game, second game and the expansions a year ago. I started with the first game, but somehow lost interest (excellent writing, though). Is the second one better, and is it recomended I go straight to that?
No, the first is much better. I actually finished that one.
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

The general concensus is that the second is better. Planescape is better than either, mind.

BG2 has more community content, also. BG1 is best with tutu.

Lucidor

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2009, 04:49:34 AM
Quote from: Lucidor on August 27, 2009, 04:14:35 AM
No, the first is much better. I actually finished that one.
OK, I'm giving it another go. Are there any mods that deal with the screen resolution thingie. It looks sort of horrible.

Lettow77

That would be Tutu, which I recommended.

It plays BG1 on BG2's interface, and turns them into a creepy megagame, not that you have any obligation to continue past BG1.