News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help me plan my visit to Barcelona!

Started by Tamas, August 24, 2009, 03:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on September 14, 2009, 11:10:55 AM
You plan on travelling from Hungary to Spain by car with the whole family? You're nuts.

Why? there will be two drivers, a sweeping majority of the route on motorways. I did my Italy trip alone with no problems.

Alatriste

Quote from: Tamas on September 14, 2009, 11:25:54 AM
You plan on travelling from Hungary to Spain by car with the whole family? You're nuts.

Why? there will be two drivers, a sweeping majority of the route on motorways. I did my Italy trip alone with no problems.

Well, I wouldn't do it either, but I guess that's because both Larchie and I don't like driving. I certainly know one of my brothers would refuse to travel from Madrid to Barcelona - not to mention longer trips - if he wasn't allowed to drive his own car all the way. Of course he loves driving... and besides he smokes like a chimney, something he can't do in a train or a plane.

Tamas

Quote from: Alatriste on September 14, 2009, 12:12:39 PM

Well, I wouldn't do it either, but I guess that's because both Larchie and I don't like driving. I certainly know one of my brothers would refuse to travel from Madrid to Barcelona - not to mention longer trips - if he wasn't allowed to drive his own car all the way. Of course he loves driving... and besides he smokes like a chimney, something he can't do in a train or a plane.

Well probably we will stop along the way to check something along the way, we will have 6 months to organize that.

But if I could drive 900 kilometers, a third of it on mountain country roads, I can drive 1000kms on motorways.

The Larch

That made sense because there was no clear alternative, here you have a clear cut and faster alternative.

The Larch

Quote from: Alatriste on September 14, 2009, 12:12:39 PM

I don't mind driving long distances in certain trips, although I certainly don't enjoy it. It just seems like a colossal waste of time and a really tiring thing to do.

Tamas

What I don't enjoy is driving in a city. Otherwise I love driving so I am actually looking forward to this 2k long trip.

Tamas

Alright, the insane family undertaking of doing this cartrip is being planned.

I have found a quite well-positioned hotel with reasonable prices in the city.

Considering we will drive throuh Italy coming from Slovenia (and proceeding on the highways in a more or less straight western line), can any of you people recall a particular town to stop by for a night's sleep?

Pedrito

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2010, 04:54:06 AM
Alright, the insane family undertaking of doing this cartrip is being planned.

I have found a quite well-positioned hotel with reasonable prices in the city.

Considering we will drive throuh Italy coming from Slovenia (and proceeding on the highways in a more or less straight western line), can any of you people recall a particular town to stop by for a night's sleep?

I assume you'll follow the route Trieste > Padova > Brescia > Piacenza > Genova > Cote d'Azur: so you should stop in Padova and have a nice round of beer with me :w00t:

To follow more closely your route, though, your better choice would be to stop in Genova or surroundings, almost mid-way to Barcelona: http://www.turismo.comune.genova.it/spip.php?lang=en; or you can proceed further and stop in Bordighera, a nice small town by the sea, near the France border: http://www.bordighera.it/international/english

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Tamas

I will check how close will go to Padova! :w00t:

But do you think we can make it to the Genoa area in one day?

Pedrito

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2010, 05:35:17 AM

From Trieste to Genoa it's 540 kms, Bordighera is another 100 kms towards France methinks. I don't know the distance from your living area to Trieste, tell me how many kms you'd want to drive per day and i'll suggest you other places to stay.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Tamas

Quote from: Pedrito on February 01, 2010, 05:40:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2010, 05:35:17 AM

From Trieste to Genoa it's 540 kms, Bordighera is another 100 kms towards France methinks. I don't know the distance from your living area to Trieste, tell me how many kms you'd want to drive per day and i'll suggest you other places to stay.

L.

From our town to Trieste is 500kms, so yeah Genoa, even Bordighera looks doable. Basically we want to cover the whole trip in two days, ie. we want to arrive to Barcelona on the second evening/night.

katmai

500kms is like what 40 miles, shouldn't be a problem.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Pedrito

Don't forget we're talking italian traffic, so 500 kms is like two thousand nightmarish miles  ;)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Pedrito

I suggest Genova, from there you should be able to reach Barcelona in the evening of the second day: I did it many years ago without problems.
or else, you should stop in Montecarlo! :domperignon:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2010, 04:54:06 AMI have found a quite well-positioned hotel with reasonable prices in the city.

Hopefully not in the Raval area, right?  :ph34r: