News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular gender?

Started by merithyn, August 19, 2009, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on August 20, 2009, 09:43:35 AM
If the culture does not recognize more than two, why throw that canard out there about more than two genders in the olympics?

Because the whole arguement about the cultural gender stuff is a canard when we are talking about athletic competition.  If there is no physical difference between men and women then there would not be separate events for them.  It is not because it is somehow a feminine cultural trait to run the 800 meters 10 seconds slower.

Are you telling me that the women could run the 800 meters in 1:45 but choose to run it in 1:55 because of some sort of cultural expression?  What enormous bullshit.  Trying to compete in the woman's 800 meters without anatomically being a woman is fucking cheating no matter how many feminine cultural traits you embrace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

First of all, I believe I said that the West does indeed recognize two genders, and so that split seems a valid test to divide athletes - that is why this person is being tested.

Nowhere did I even attempt to argue that gender, gender roles, or gender identification should be used to cause the cultural value male-female division to be applied to athletics or the like.  Sex is biological, sex expressed in culture is gender.  The West has traditionally made the gender-sex division a duality.

I am not telling you a woman runs slower because of gender, I am telling you a woman runs slower because of sex.  THAT difference is why I am not arguing for more than two genders, that follow the biological division as in the west, should be allowed in such things as a divided arena such as the Olympics.  This is also why they are testing this person to determine biological sex...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on August 20, 2009, 10:02:06 AM
Sex is biological, sex expressed in culture is gender.

Curse you academics and your academic definitions!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: PDH on August 20, 2009, 10:02:06 AMI am telling you a woman runs slower because of sex. 

With me that just makes them run faster   :(

Josquius

I wonder how this will work out, she does look pretty mannish.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2009, 09:52:49 AM
Because the whole arguement about the cultural gender stuff is a canard when we are talking about athletic competition.  If there is no physical difference between men and women then there would not be separate events for them.  It is not because it is somehow a feminine cultural trait to run the 800 meters 10 seconds slower.

If it's a physical difference rather than a cultural one, explain why "male" robots outperform "female" ones. :yeahright:

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 20, 2009, 11:46:54 AM

If it's a physical difference rather than a cultural one, explain why "male" robots outperform "female" ones. :yeahright:

He's got you there Valmy. :yes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: PDH on August 20, 2009, 09:43:35 AM
If the culture does not recognize more than two, why throw that canard out there about more than two genders in the olympics?

Are you telling me that the women could run the 800 meters in 1:45 but choose to run it in 1:55 because of some sort of cultural expression?  What enormous bullshit.  Trying to compete in the woman's 800 meters without anatomically being a woman is fucking cheating no matter how many feminine cultural traits you embrace.

If you do transition fully to female you lose all that muscle mass. gone. MTFs do have less (none, almost) testoserone than biological women. They may be horsy, and less elegant looking, but not moreso than your average female athlete. No Tranny could ever have legs like Flo-Jo without roids.
:p

The Brain

What's the big deal? No one cares about women's athletics anyway.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: The Brain on August 20, 2009, 12:01:04 PM
What's the big deal? No one cares about women's athletics anyway.

except tennis & figure skating.

Valmy

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 20, 2009, 11:57:21 AM
If you do transition fully to female you lose all that muscle mass. gone. MTFs do have less (none, almost) testoserone than biological women. They may be horsy, and less elegant looking, but not moreso than your average female athlete. No Tranny could ever have legs like Flo-Jo without roids.

You may be right about that BUT once you go down that road you are opening yourself up to lots of room for cheating.

I would prefer the trannies compete with the men if they fancy themselves world class olympic athlete trannies.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2009, 12:10:25 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 20, 2009, 11:57:21 AM

You may be right about that BUT once you go down that road you are opening yourself up to lots of room for cheating.

I would prefer the trannies compete with the men if they fancy themselves world class olympic athlete trannies.

I disagree.... but it's a pretty small amount of athletes to start with.... not really worth discussing.

The Brain

You could get around the problem by just banning butt ugly people from competing. The questionable cases look like puke.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 20, 2009, 12:15:33 PM
I disagree.... but it's a pretty small amount of athletes to start with.... not really worth discussing.

Well there is the small problem that taking hormone treatments of any sort is illegal for athletes.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: The Brain on August 20, 2009, 12:17:23 PM
You could get around the problem by just banning butt ugly people from competing. The questionable cases look like puke.

sure... as long that applies to ugly bio male and females also. and horses with questionable breeding histories and ugly forlocks in the equestrian events.