And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on September 13, 2014, 12:01:34 AM
So bought Vicky 2 in that $5 bundle.

I get totally lost though, even after going through the tutorials.

Someone hold my hand.  I start a new game as some peaceful minor - what three or five steps should I do right off the bat?  I get concerned because I can't seem to even just run a budget surplus right off the bat.

Start with a major power to learn the ropes, forget minors. The major advantage of being a Great Power is that you can play the Crisis and Influence game, while as a minor you will caught between Powers wanting to make you part of their own Sphere of Influence. Which country have you chosen to start? I'd recommend Russia to start off, which is highly forgiving due to its sheer size and manpower.

It's perfectly normal to run in the red for the first few days as the economy sets off. Tax your Poor as much as you can to maximize income, then Middle POPs to adjust. Refrain from taxing your Rich POPs, if possible. Don't worry, your starting techs ensure the tax efficiency remains low even if you tax them at 100%, so they'll still have some money. Always keep in mind, your POPs need money to buy stuff, so the money you run in surplus should be use to decrease the tax burden on your POPs.

Put your land and sea units maintenance at 50% (not below, otherwise they'll decay) to save money, unless you are at war or your need to quell revolts. Adjust tariffs as you see fit, and within weeks you should be running a profit.

If your party in power hinders your from building factories, from time to time check what Projects your Capitalists have in mind; invest in those factories which make economic sense.

Your should be starting with two National Focuses. Start with bringing your Clergymen to 2-4% in your two most populous regions to increase Research Points. Invest in Research that are directly beneficial to your current goals.

Razgovory

I picked it up on the Bundle as well.  I went through some of the Tutorials but got bored and just went in as Belgium.  It is a lot of fun.  Belgium can't do much, and I was learned the limits to colonization and the like, but I eventually achieved Great Power.  I like the Crisis system.  Reminds me of Balance of Power.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

The USA is the best starting nation IMO.
Until Britain gets pissed off at you. Then you have to learn how to use cheats.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

My first attempt was with Brazil but that didn't really go well. On my 2nd try through, I went with Japan. It was fun taking an uncivilized nation into GP status while simultaneously smothering China in its crib. :) :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2014, 01:36:50 PM
My first attempt was with Brazil but that didn't really go well. On my 2nd try through, I went with Japan. It was fun taking an uncivilized nation into GP status while simultaneously smothering China in its crib. :) :blush:

I love Westernizing China; you're practically #1 at that point.

jimmy olsen

I had this when it first came out. It was nice, not great. What have the two expansions added?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I'm sure you can look that up if not elsewhere online, in this very thread.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Sorry, Tim, but its just like you aren't asking something that hasn't already been asked and answered. Information is out there, dude, and it isn't hard to find.

Syt

Such is not the way of the Tim.

Ironic, really, considering how much time he must spend on finding all those news stories.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Ok, compatibility question. I got Vicky 2 on gamersgate back in the day when it was first released. If I buy the expansions on Steam are they going to work together?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

You might be able to register them with steam, I don't know.  I had switch Crusader kings to steam, you'd probably do better to check Pdox forums.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2014, 06:09:37 AM
Ok, compatibility question. I got Vicky 2 on gamersgate back in the day when it was first released. If I buy the expansions on Steam are they going to work together?

No

Razgovory

Playing around with mods. The POPdemand stuff seems to add quite a bit.

jimmy olsen

I bought it for steam and the base game and house divided worked, however it seems I bought the wrong version for heart of darkness. Emailed Amazon to see if I can exchange, but I may have to just eat that $19.99 and buy the right one. <_<

I can't buy from Steam directly because they'll object because I'm in Korea and the Credit Card is billed in the US.

1 Karma Chameleon point