Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 26, 2012, 03:28:15 AM
I'll be getting it  :D

Even though there will be new problems.

My reasoning is that it costs no more than an indifferent meal out, so even if it still has problems (which it will), I'm likely to get several evenings entertainment out of it, so still good value.

yeah, thats a good way of thinking about it. A few beers and you've spent the 20 quid the game would cost so...whatever.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 26, 2012, 05:05:53 PM

My reasoning is that it costs no more than an indifferent meal out, so even if it still has problems (which it will), I'm likely to get several evenings entertainment out of it, so still good value.

On the other hand you could also feed ourself.  :hmm:

I am so fabulously wealthy that I can afford to do both. I must belong to the 1%  :w00t:

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 27, 2012, 03:57:51 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 26, 2012, 05:05:53 PM

On the other hand you could also feed ourself.  :hmm:

I am so fabulously wealthy that I can afford to do both. I must belong to the 1%  :w00t:

Which one of you have the bigger castle? You or Sheilbh?

Richard Hakluyt

It must be Sheilbh, his family came over with the Conquest and one of his ancestors features as one of the bad guys in Ivanhoe.

However, I am rich enough to be known as "The Lancashire Martinus" round these parts  :P

Camerus

I bought it for $6.78.  After a couple hours of play, I can say it actually is more fun than I expected, but perhaps that's just because I don't know enough yet to run into any major frustrations.  I'm tempted to get the expansion later this week.

derspiess

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on January 30, 2012, 09:23:39 AM
I bought it for $6.78.  After a couple hours of play, I can say it actually is more fun than I expected, but perhaps that's just because I don't know enough yet to run into any major frustrations.  I'm tempted to get the expansion later this week.

If I could find it that cheap I'd be tempted.  As it is, the three things that stick out in my mind about the first Victoria are: being unable to avoid a costly war as the US in the Oregon dispute, having an awful lot of Turkish muslims immigrate to the US, and being unable to win the Austro-Prussian War as Prussia :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2012, 03:32:48 PM

If I could find it that cheap I'd be tempted.  As it is, the three things that stick out in my mind about the first Victoria are: being unable to avoid a costly war as the US in the Oregon dispute, having an awful lot of Turkish muslims immigrate to the US, and being unable to win the Austro-Prussian War as Prussia :mellow:

It is $6.78 on GamersGate now.

ulmont

If I could find it that cheap I'd be tempted. 

You should read the PSA discount thread.  And check gamersgate.

KRonn

I think the Oregon issue depends on the option you take. I'm usually able to resolve it peacefully with the UK. I find the wars with Mexico a challenge, because the US army isn't usually built up that well early on when the US fights Mexico.
I find the Austro-Prussian war to be tricky, but not so much if I make a decent priority to build up the German army, including reserves. And sometimes I can gain an alliance with Russia, gifting them often to make it possible. That would make the Austrian war a lot easier.

Faeelin

Honestly, the game's failure to really model American industrialization and development always ruined Victoria 2 for me. I get it, Paradox doesn't get America and thinks it's of minor import compared to the Schleswig-Holstein crisis, but it's never bothered to model it properly in any game it's made. Whether its the failure to invade overseas in HOI, ahistorical colonization in EU, or invincible Mexico in Victoria.

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on January 30, 2012, 03:39:41 PM

It is $6.78 on GamersGate now.

Bought it yesterday-- thanks :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: KRonn on January 31, 2012, 08:10:51 AM
I think the Oregon issue depends on the option you take. I'm usually able to resolve it peacefully with the UK.

I think I always tried to take the historical option, but for whatever reason I still got bullied incessantly by the Brits. 

QuoteI find the wars with Mexico a challenge, because the US army isn't usually built up that well early on when the US fights Mexico.

To me it takes way more time & skill than it really should have.  I can usually win vs. Mexico, but at the cost of a lengthy war.

QuoteI find the Austro-Prussian war to be tricky, but not so much if I make a decent priority to build up the German army, including reserves. And sometimes I can gain an alliance with Russia, gifting them often to make it possible. That would make the Austrian war a lot easier.

I'll keep that in mind-- thanks.  I think I usually tend to go too much 'by the book' and expect the game to go accordingly.

Ideologue

Quote from: Faeelin on January 31, 2012, 09:23:07 AM
Honestly, the game's failure to really model American industrialization and development always ruined Victoria 2 for me. I get it, Paradox doesn't get America and thinks it's of minor import compared to the Schleswig-Holstein crisis, but it's never bothered to model it properly in any game it's made. Whether its the failure to invade overseas in HOI, ahistorical colonization in EU, or invincible Mexico in Victoria.

I always love in the late game when I see the U.S. form and it's, like, Connecticut and South Carolina with a big Euro rainbow between them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

My big problem I remember with the game was by 1880/90 (can't recall) you always had constant massed leftist rebel uprisings, no matter your reforms, it was an unhistoric PITA.

Anyway. Vicky 2 add on- normally I'd be quite excited. Intrigued certainly. With CK2 on the horizon...it can wait.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2012, 08:57:57 PM
My big problem I remember with the game was by 1880/90 (can't recall) you always had constant massed leftist rebel uprisings, no matter your reforms, it was an unhistoric PITA.

Anyway. Vicky 2 add on- normally I'd be quite excited. Intrigued certainly. With CK2 on the horizon...it can wait.
The Paradox engine isn't that great at modeling the anarchist uprisings of the period.  It's like trying to model 9/11, which was shocking, but insignificant in terms of territory and military strength.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.