News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireblade

So apparently Paradox announced an expansion, focusing on the ACW. Do we celebrate or do we still not give a shit about Vicky2?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Does the game even work yet?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Sort of, nothing a few decades of debugging and balancing wouldn't fix.

Palisadoes

Victoria 2 always "worked", it was just not balanced in the late game upon release. The latest patches have largely resolved this, but I think a problem with general balance is that there doesn't seem to be country-specific AI behaviour; there is seemingly a one-size-fits-all AI which doesn't always behave as you would hope for the period.

DGuller

I think the problems are a lot more substantial than that.  Goods supply and demand is still not balanced, except by chance.  Naval warfare is downright broken.  Population still explodes in South American democracies.  Peace costs are still ridiculous in the end game.  I could go on and on, but the game is not worth my time to do so.

Fireblade

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2011, 08:04:06 PM
I think the problems are a lot more substantial than that.  Goods supply and demand is still not balanced, except by chance.  Naval warfare is downright broken.  Population still explodes in South American democracies.  Peace costs are still ridiculous in the end game.  I could go on and on, but the game is not worth my time to do so.

THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS GAME. VALID CRITICISM OF MY SHITTY DESIGN DECISIONS IS AGAINST PARADOX RULES AND WILL BE HARSHLY PUNISHED. BANNED.

Tamas

When nationalism is such a burden on the system that they zerg-assimilate it out of the game in about 5 years (WAD), it remains totally fucked up as a simulation o the era.

ulmont

Ok, for $7 I bought the game anyway.  What do I need to know (other than past experience with Victoria and the Revolutions expansion) to not completely fuck the game up?

Tamas

Quote from: ulmont on January 25, 2012, 11:26:26 PM
Ok, for $7 I bought the game anyway.  What do I need to know (other than past experience with Victoria and the Revolutions expansion) to not completely fuck the game up?

Nothing, it's fucked up. :P

Back in the day, I made a mini-mod to stop the Indians from wearing hoodies by 1840, and 100% Austrian Austria by 1850, plus I made nationalist rebels actually able to appear every once in a while.

But, next Tuesday an expansion comes out. They promise a lot of things, and I am actually getting convinced that they'll deliver (yeah right)  :Embarrass:
But of course they promised a working game with 1.00 as well.

Richard Hakluyt

The Austrian thing is a real nuisance to me. One of my favoured games is to play AH and try and keep it going as a living fossil (I wear imaginary Franz-Josef muttonchop whiskers while doing this), this is ruined by the assimilation rate.

Having said that, I got my money's worth simply by looking at and thinking about the game mechanics. Paradox aims high and then misses  :lol: , but at least they are targetting the sort of games that I would like to play.

DGuller

Quote from: ulmont on January 25, 2012, 11:26:26 PM
I would wait for AHD to come out in a week's time.  I hope I'm not violating my beta NDA by saying that it's a vast improvement over the original.

Tamas

Look at the first page of this Q&A session thread:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?580577-A-House-Divided-Q-amp-A-session

Some promising stuff, podcat claims they got rid of the blitz-assimilation, I hope they did indeed. Their chief reason for it in vanilla was performance (ridicoulous: you make a feature, then eliminate it after a few gameplay years because the engine can't handle it), but they are moving to multi-thread support with the expansion.

Again, they are promising gameplay they promised for vanilla as well, but what can I say - there are too few of these types of games to not be a sucker and hope.  :blush:

Richard Hakluyt

I'll be getting it  :D

Even though there will be new problems.

My reasoning is that it costs no more than an indifferent meal out, so even if it still has problems (which it will), I'm likely to get several evenings entertainment out of it, so still good value.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 26, 2012, 03:28:15 AM
I'll be getting it  :D

Even though there will be new problems.

My reasoning is that it costs no more than an indifferent meal out, so even if it still has problems (which it will), I'm likely to get several evenings entertainment out of it, so still good value.

On the other hand you could also feed ourself.  :hmm: