News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2010, 11:31:20 PM
More like he could not anger his french allies more than he already was.
Yeah right.  Wilson had nothing but contempt for non-whites.  France could have fought for the Central Powers, kicked his dog and slept with his wife, and he'd still be against an independent Vietnam.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Skimmed the forum a bit more deeply and came up with this little gem :

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10407419&postcount=96

QuoteFor Victoria 2, we have done several things to avoid another Hoi3-style release.

#1) Better scheduling, with much longer time to just tweak the game.
#2) Not reinvent everything, but refining concepts instead.
#3) Not relying on volunteer betatesters, but using proper QA studios instead.

My optimism is starting to get the better of me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on April 13, 2010, 12:14:15 AM
Skimmed the forum a bit more deeply and came up with this little gem :

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10407419&postcount=96

QuoteFor Victoria 2, we have done several things to avoid another Hoi3-style release.

#1) Better scheduling, with much longer time to just tweak the game.
#2) Not reinvent everything, but refining concepts instead.
#3) Not relying on volunteer betatesters, but using proper QA studios instead.

My optimism is starting to get the better of me.

Indeed.  Rein it in moonbeam.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471299

QuoteThe last thing that National focus is used for is colonisation. You can set a national focus marker in an uncolonised state and start to claim it. The control amount slowly ticks up by a random amount, so just because you are first in a state doesn't mean that someone else might get lucky and beat you. If you want to increase your chances of claiming a state you can send in troops, the presence of troops in a state will increase the amount your claim ticks up by. This might just give you the edge to beat some who already has a placed a claim in front of you. What happens if they too send troops? In this situation countries who are both claiming a colony can fight each other inside the state. This allows Fashoda style skirmishes without needing the whole messy colonial war mechanic. Now you can skirmish with allies and friends for colonies without having to burn all your bridges and go fight a war.

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Settle down Habs.  Version 1.0 will be crap and you know it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Of course it will.  But 1.1 or 1.2 might prove fun.

If not, I'll just go back to EU 3 and stay away from Paradox releases until each game has ~2 expansions out.  It's not like I buy many PC games these days, anyway.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

I will wait for you to give us a full report.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on April 14, 2010, 05:38:22 PM
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471299

QuoteThe last thing that National focus is used for is colonisation. You can set a national focus marker in an uncolonised state and start to claim it. The control amount slowly ticks up by a random amount, so just because you are first in a state doesn't mean that someone else might get lucky and beat you. If you want to increase your chances of claiming a state you can send in troops, the presence of troops in a state will increase the amount your claim ticks up by. This might just give you the edge to beat some who already has a placed a claim in front of you. What happens if they too send troops? In this situation countries who are both claiming a colony can fight each other inside the state. This allows Fashoda style skirmishes without needing the whole messy colonial war mechanic. Now you can skirmish with allies and friends for colonies without having to burn all your bridges and go fight a war.

:)
That does sound cool. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2010, 05:39:27 PM

There seems to be a change of focus from King for Vic2. For example, they'll stop relying on uselessly unproductive slave workers who just want to have the game free voluntary beta-testers to rely on internal QA teams instead.

We'll see how good it goes.

Syt

Quote from: Drakken on April 15, 2010, 10:28:33 AM

There seems to be a change of focus from King for Vic2. For example, they'll stop relying on uselessly unproductive slave workers who just want to have the game free voluntary beta-testers to rely on internal QA teams instead.

Yeah, I wonder who will do all the POPs research, or if they'll just re-use the data the betas collected/coded in mindnumbing monotony for Vic1.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on April 15, 2010, 10:30:22 AM
Quote from: Drakken on April 15, 2010, 10:28:33 AM

Yeah, I wonder who will do all the POPs research, or if they'll just re-use the data the betas collected/coded in mindnumbing monotony for Vic1.

It seems to be a combination of reusing what they have and borrowing stuff from the VIP mod.  They are also using the old POP graphics to save some time/money.

Josquius

More small minorities would be nice.
As long as of course we don't treat '100 Armenian farmers' exactly the same as '40000 Italian farmers'.
And if they even think of splitting British pops up as some mods did.....
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Quote from: Tyr on April 15, 2010, 11:49:51 AM
More small minorities would be nice.
As long as of course we don't treat '100 Armenian farmers' exactly the same as '40000 Italian farmers'.
Though, incidentally, the combined total nose length of the different groups is about equal. 

This is looking really good, though I do hope there is some model of colonization.  I WANT TO RUSSIFY BRITISH COLUMBIA AND SAMARKHAND, DAMN IT! 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Camerus

Queequeg

Just finished reading all the Dev Journals.  Dairy factoring the the fuck out right now.   :) 

lol can i be; tsarist virgin lands?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."