News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2009, 10:20:05 AM
I really like Victoria, I guess I'm in the minority.

I liked it too, actually. Especially with the Revs expansion pack. It didn't have the longevity for me, though, that the EU series had. I got bored with it fairly quickly.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

I got tired of manually reinforcing divisions. Raping France and Russia as Prussia? Awesome.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I loved Vicky, the only trouble with it was the troubles of the era- only half a dozen or so nations to play and have big fun from. I demand a paradox game map editor!
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2009, 10:20:05 AM
I really like Victoria, I guess I'm in the minority.

It's alright but it was far too much energy to ever just fire up a game on a lark.  It didn't start slow and suck you in like CK or EU do which are far superior games IMO.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2009, 11:06:59 AM
It's alright but it was far too much energy to ever just fire up a game on a lark.  It didn't start slow and suck you in like CK or EU do which are far superior games IMO.

I totally liked the idea of it. I just couldn't really ever get myself into it as it seemed to require so much thought/energy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 08:00:16 AM
2.  Nice to see OHGamer is still a pile of dog shit. :)

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as best gay P'dox mod. :goodboy:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on December 14, 2009, 08:06:55 AM
It is rather astonishing how thoroughly Paradox has managed to squander the enormous good will they had accumulated with their early releases.  Up through HoI2, I pretty much bought everything they made, knowing that (1) they would fix any problems, and (2) that their design philosophy was enough like my playing philosophy that even a somewhat broken game would still be fun.

Nowadays, I view them with considerable suspicion, both o the grounds that I don't know if they will fix broken games, and I don't know if the design will be fun even if they do.  I got EU3 complete on sale, and that's been it.

That's quite a change.

Agreed.  I am not sure where they went wrong but somewhere along the line I went from automatically buying all Paradox products to waiting to see if the the games were good and then not buying at all.

QuoteCAL'S TWO CENTS

1.  If Johan is going to make posts like that one, someone needs to kindly ask him from refraining from posting at all, aside from announcing new patches.

Agreed.  What a silly thing for Johan to say.  In the early days he benefited greatly from the feedback he got from the community.  Now he thinks that his small group can do better.  It seems that recent results should convince him that he should pay more attention to what people might want in the game.

dps

The thing is, you can't please everyone, and not all suggestions are created equal, but there's no reason to just slag someone off like that.  Just be polite and non-committal ("Thanks for your suggestion.  We'll certainly take it into consideration") or just don't reply at all.

garbon

Quote from: dps on December 14, 2009, 11:20:58 PM
just don't reply at all.

P'dox fans get awfully whiny if you do that to them.

dps

Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2009, 11:22:09 PM
Quote from: dps on December 14, 2009, 11:20:58 PM
just don't reply at all.

P'dox fans get awfully whiny if you do that to them.

Yeah, so every once in a while, you reply to the whining:  "Sorry I didn't respond specifically to your suggestion.  We're real busy working on the game, so I don't have time to reply to each and every post offering advice.  Be assured, though, that we do read them all, and give them every consideration."

garbon

God I hope I never have to say that. I might vomit.

dps

Yeah, especially when what you really want to say is, "Your idea is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard in my life."

Razgovory

A person can't be expected to respond to a thousand suggestions half of them coming from Eastern Europeans who will pirate the game anyway.  Or Finns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2009, 02:10:03 AM
A person can't be expected to respond to a thousand suggestions half of them coming from Eastern Europeans who will pirate the game anyway.  Or Finns.
Especially when most of those suggestions relate to their own retardo countries, and how they should conquer all the other retardo countries.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on December 15, 2009, 12:10:26 AM
God I hope I never have to say that. I might vomit.
It's really not that hard.  Type it out once, and then do a cut and paste job.  That's what I do at work every time some moron in the field makes yet another ridiculous report modification request.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points