News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

At this point I think Paradox is too chickenshit to try anything too revolutionary new. It's still the same old province based strategy game wiht different flavor in different eras, and with increasing complexity (not necessarily depth) and the occasional change in engine. The fundamentals remain the same and it's getting tiresome.

They're on the fast track to becoming the EA Sports of grand strategy games.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
EU and its sequels have been good.  HoI and its sequels have not.

Of course EU wasn't original to them, in the strictest sense.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2009, 01:53:23 PM
At this point I think Paradox is too chickenshit to try anything too revolutionary new. It's still the same old province based strategy game wiht different flavor in different eras, and with increasing complexity (not necessarily depth) and the occasional change in engine. The fundamentals remain the same and it's getting tiresome.

What do you think a revolutionary strategy game would look like?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

I'm imagining it would cover the period from 1750-1850, allowing the player to foster or suppress rebellion in Europe and the Americas.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2009, 05:28:22 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2009, 01:53:23 PM

What do you think a revolutionary strategy game would look like?
Hard to say.  If it's truly revolutionary, you don't see it coming.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

The only thing that can save Paradox now is ditching this ugly map engine they created and creating CK2.

Also @Johan+his legion of fanbois: I hate to say it but I told you so. I warned you years ago.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Camerus

The sad reality is that Paradox games have been substandard over the past few years, but other than the Civ franchise, I can't think of a single engaging, nation-building, grand strategy game to come out over the same time period.  Paradox is essentially the only game in town.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2009, 12:45:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 23, 2009, 03:00:25 PM
I could never get into HOI games, for whatever reason.

I think the reason might be that they are not very good.
HOI2 DD was awesome, one of my favorite games of all times.

That map screen shot actually looks great!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Neil on November 24, 2009, 08:13:18 PM
Hard to say.  If it's truly revolutionary, you don't see it coming.

It just seems a little off to bash on province based gameplay. One might as well rail against hexes.

garbon

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 24, 2009, 09:46:56 PM
The sad reality is that Paradox games have been substandard over the past few years, but other than the Civ franchise, I can't think of a single engaging, nation-building, grand strategy game to come out over the same time period.  Paradox is essentially the only game in town.

Tamas tries his hardest to plug for AGEOD but it falls on deaf and prejudiced ears.  AGEOD should try out finishing an alpha before release.

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 24, 2009, 10:13:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2009, 12:45:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 23, 2009, 03:00:25 PM
I could never get into HOI games, for whatever reason.

I think the reason might be that they are not very good.
HOI2 DD was awesome, one of my favorite games of all times.

That map screen shot actually looks great!
I also like the HOI DD and ARMAGEDDON games a lot. Great games.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on November 25, 2009, 10:24:56 AM
I also like the HOI DD and ARMAGEDDON games a lot. Great games.

I'm sorry. :console:

KRonn

garbon

Josephus

HOI DD, Arm, are pretty good games. As long as you only play as Russia or Germany. Because, for a number of reasons, all the other countries are no fun.

And playing on the eastern front is only fun until one or the other surrenders, cause after that it gets really silly.

Oh, and as long as you don't build nukes. Or use navies. Or airpower.

Other than that, it's quite enjoyable.

Oh, and as long as you don't actually play the DD or Arm scenarios, cause those are a mess.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011