News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Converting to Judaism in ancient times

Started by viper37, August 14, 2009, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2009, 10:53:58 AM
I was under the impression you only got "credit" for doing a commandment if you did it to please God, not if you just happened to already like not eating pork and resting all day Saturday.

AFAIK internal motivation is irrelevant for Jews and for non-Jews alike.  What matters is conduct.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 26, 2009, 10:55:32 AM
AFAIK internal motivation is irrelevant for Jews and for non-Jews alike.  What matters is conduct.

Alrighty then.  I was confused by all those angry prophets telling the Jews that God spits on their sacrifices because they do not do it with the proper feeling.

Still it is not like the Jews go around preaching the seven laws of righteousness to the Gentile community.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2009, 10:53:58 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2009, 10:33:14 AM
Not really - you could just do all that stuff because you don't particularly care to murder folks or eat living animals, and you don't happen to worship idols. An atheist could be a "righteous gentile" as long as he didn't go around bad-mouthing the Biblical God . The prohibitions are entirely negative except for the last.

I was under the impression you only got "credit" for doing a commandment if you did it to please God, not if you just happened to already like not eating pork and resting all day Saturday.

This points to one of the major differences between Judaism and Chistianity, and one which those more used to Christianity always find wierd.

In Judiasm, God allegedly doesn't care what you believe, as long as you do what he said. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2009, 11:00:27 AM
In Judiasm, God allegedly doesn't care what you believe, as long as you do what he said. 

He sure sounds like he does in the OT.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2009, 10:57:07 AM
Still it is not like the Jews go around preaching the seven laws of righteousness to the Gentile community.

True enough. Though increasing the overall righteousness of Jews and non-Jews alike is supposedly a Jewish aim.

Door-to-door Jewish 'missionaries' telling random people not to eat living animals would be hilarious.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2009, 11:01:47 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2009, 11:00:27 AM

He sure sounds like he does in the OT.

Really? Where?

God zaps you in the OT if you do stuff he disapproves of, not for failing to believe the right things.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2009, 11:05:23 AM
Really? Where?

God zaps you in the OT if you do stuff he disapproves of, not for failing to believe the right things.
It's a big difference between Old and New Testament, and Judaism and Christianity more generally.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2009, 11:05:23 AM
Really? Where?

The part about how God is tired of sacrifices because he has enough dead goats and shit like that comes to mind...but I do not have time now to look it up.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 26, 2009, 11:07:46 AM
It's a big difference between Old and New Testament, and Judaism and Christianity more generally.

Yeah Jesus just craps on the law is all like 'hey I am Jesus fuck you' about it.  I always thought that was a little weird.

Siege

Dude, last time I read this thread, it was in page 2.
Now is in page 7.
And my setting is at max for number of posts per page.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on August 26, 2009, 10:55:38 PM
Dude, last time I read this thread, it was in page 2.
Now is in page 7.
And my setting is at max for number of posts per page.

What?  Does it bother you when gentiles discuss Judaism?

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2009, 11:08:47 AMThe part about how God is tired of sacrifices because he has enough dead goats and shit like that comes to mind...but I do not have time now to look it up.

I can't be bothered to look it up either, but I always thought the point of those bits were "you're sacrificing goats and so on, but you're doing all kinds of other bits that are bad so the goats won't get you off the hook".