News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Incredible Classic Cars in Detroit

Started by charliebear, August 14, 2009, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliebear

It's that time again....Woodward Dream Cruise has already started.  Folks from all over bring their classic muscle cars to cruise Woodward Avenue, like they used to do back in the day.  The movie "American Grafitti" is based on cruising Woodward.

I heard recently that it's the largest one-day car event in the world.  Sav and I got a sneak peak last night, as this event has grown into a week long cruise-fest.  We saw some beauties, but I decided that the 1966 Corvette Stingray is one of my favorite classic cars.

The Chevelle runs a close second.

MadImmortalMan

We had ours last week.  ;)

My boss was driving around in a Stingray just like that, powder blue. At the auction, he bough a 65 Metropolitan.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

charliebear

Here's what else is going to be in town for the event:

- Herbie the Love Bug
- Batmobile
- General Lee
- Monkee Mobile
- KIT
- Monkee Mobile
- the car from Starsky and Hutch

They'll be on display until noon on Saturday, then they'll join the cruising.

Here's a couple of websites about the event:

http://womc.com/pages/4845677.php

charliebear

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 14, 2009, 10:12:26 AM
We had ours last week.  ;)

My boss was driving around in a Stingray just like that, powder blue. At the auction, he bough a 65 Metropolitan.  :lol:

Did you see any of the cruise?  What was your favorite car?

MadImmortalMan

Another one my boss has (he's a collector): a 1936 Jag Roadster. :cool:

As for the ones who come into town, well it's impossible to pick really. Like 800,000 people come into town for the event from all over the country and maybe ten or fifteen thousand cars. Jay Leno is always here for it. I also like the muscle cars. Buick 442, Challenger R/T, that kind of stuff. Man, some of these people take this shit seriously.

Edit: I think the only way to get bigger would be to go to Woodward itself, and I bet a lot of the same cars do Hot August Nights and then head for Detroit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

My personal favorite is the mid-70's Cadillac El Dorado convertible:

One of my friend's parents had one when I was growing up.  It would have been the perfect car to live out a Jack Keroauc fantasy; the trunk could hold at least a dozen cases of brandy.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

charliebear

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 14, 2009, 10:54:35 AM
Man, some of these people take this shit seriously.

I can't even begin to grasp the money and time it takes to restore/maintain these cars.  I saw a Chevelle last night that looked like it just rolled off the line.

charliebear

Quote from: Savonarola on August 14, 2009, 11:12:53 AM

One of my friend's parents had one when I was growing up.  It would have been the perfect car to live out a Jack Keroauc fantasy; the trunk could hold at least a dozen cases of brandy.

That looks like a perfect "Thelma and Louise" car.  Care to go on a road trip?

KRonn

charliebear

All right, I'll fess up.  I have a difficult time driving cars with a long hood-line.  I have an even harding time parking them, because I can't see where that parking lot block is.  I usually have to bump it, and then back up a bit.

I am not proud of this.

charliebear

I saw the Monkee Mobile this morning.  Also saw the Firebird from "Smokey and the Bandit" and the van from the A Team.  Some of the actors from the show autographed the glove compartment.  Magnum PI's Ferrari was also there. 

Savonarola

Quote from: charliebear on August 15, 2009, 11:27:59 AM
I saw the Monkee Mobile this morning.  Also saw the Firebird from "Smokey and the Bandit" and the van from the A Team.  Some of the actors from the show autographed the glove compartment.  Magnum PI's Ferrari was also there.

KITT was also there; though KARR still remains at large.

I live a couple blocks from Woodward; a number of streets by my house are still shut down.  There was already a healthy crowd on Woodward (and cars cruising) by 9:00 this morning.  Woodward is a divided boulevard (in the suburbs, where the cruise takes place.)  There were people already camped out in the median beneath the trees by then. The local Tim Horton's was charging $35 to park and stay there all day. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on August 14, 2009, 11:12:53 AM

Really dig 90 degree angles, huh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image