Incredible Classic Cars in Detroit

Started by charliebear, August 14, 2009, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2009, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 14, 2009, 11:12:53 AM
My personal favorite is the mid-70's Cadillac El Dorado convertible:

Really dig 90 degree angles, huh.
Nostalgia is a funny thing.  Now that pretty much every car on the road is a formless aerodynamic blob, the classic boxy cars like 1980ies Chevy Caprice look simple and appealing.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2009, 09:53:56 AM

Nostalgia is a funny thing.  Now that pretty much every car on the road is a formless aerodynamic blob, the classic boxy cars like 1980ies Chevy Caprice look simple and appealing.
Heh, it also used to be much easier to know nearly every car make and model seen on the roads, foreign or domestic. But now, with all the similar looks and so many car models from each maker, it's just not possible. Though having so much variety to pick from now is much better.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2009, 09:53:56 AM

I think the aerodynamic blobs are also blinding us somewhat to subtlety in car designs- I remember helping my parents pick out a brand-new 92 Toyota Corolla because it "had curves in the right places and straight lines in the right places," but sitting next to a 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse, it's hard to notice the curves on one of those Corollas anymore.
Experience bij!

lustindarkness

I have always like the simple chevelle ss.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Only in Euclidean space.   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

charliebear

A world record was set during the Woodward Dream Cruise.  Check it out: a 1,224 pound cupcake.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32438528/ns/us_news-weird_news/?GT1=43001

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Why are you folks over there incapable of designing a single good-looking car? Is it something in the water? :unsure:

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2009, 04:11:15 PM
Why are you folks over there incapable of designing a single good-looking car? Is it something in the water? :unsure:
We focus our energy on reliability and fuel efficiency.

Iormlund

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2009, 04:11:15 PM

Elitist. They're not the best-looking in the world, but not the worst, either; just hopelessly average.

I cite these for examples that you can do worse than American designers:

Experience bij!

Ed Anger

I love those midget cars on the Interstate. One day, I'll see a semi pulverize one.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 17, 2009, 04:50:58 PM
I love those midget cars on the Interstate. One day, I'll see a semi pulverize one.
I doubt you'll be able to see much.

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 17, 2009, 04:40:34 PM
I cite these for examples that you can do worse than American designers:

That would be an Indian car. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2009, 05:06:57 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 17, 2009, 04:50:58 PM
I doubt you'll be able to see much.

I'll slow down to 5 mph and rubberneck
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive