News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Incredible Classic Cars in Detroit

Started by charliebear, August 14, 2009, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Iormlund

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 17, 2009, 04:40:34 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2009, 04:11:15 PM
Why are you folks over there incapable of designing a single good-looking car? Is it something in the water? :unsure:

Elitist. They're not the best-looking in the world, but not the worst, either; just hopelessly average.

I cite these for examples that you can do worse than American designers:

The Fiat Multipla is much worse than any of those (and yes, Tata is an Indian brand although I don't know who designed that thing).
Though nothing is uglier than the PT Cruiser. Hod that thing is awful.

Anyway, it is just that I compare the cars built over the years by Lambo, Maserati, Ferrari, Jaguar, Aston, Lotus and the like to the sports cars built in America, and the difference is mind-boggling. The only American car that I'd let myself be seen in is the gorgeous Ford GT40, which was designed by Lola (small Brit sports car firm).

DGuller

I personally think that Corvette looks all right.

Iormlund

Ah yes. A bit bland compared to Italian and Brit designs, but that Covette in the A-team is an icon for my generation. I actually saw one of those a few months ago (American cars are virtually nonexistent here)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2009, 05:25:49 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 17, 2009, 04:40:34 PM
I cite these for examples that you can do worse than American designers:

That would be an Indian car. :contract:
Correct. They're butt-ugly. The upper image is a Tata Nano (Tata Motors is the company that bought Land Rover and Jaguar from Ford, BTW) from India, and the lower image is a Smart Car, from France.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on August 17, 2009, 06:00:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2009, 05:25:49 PM

That would be an Indian car. :contract:

Here is one from Japan:

I think the Honda Element (and the whole sub-genre of Japanese box-looking vehicles) look kind-of cool... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2009, 08:24:12 PM
I think the Honda Element (and the whole sub-genre of Japanese box-looking vehicles) look kind-of cool... :unsure:

Agreed. I'll disclaimer that I do tend to like stylings put forth by the Japanese companies, but I really never understood all the hate on the Element- it's got a jeep-ish look that I could equally picture sitting in the driveway or making rounds plastered with company heraldry (as opposed to the Chevy HHR being used as a logo'd company vehicle around here- THOSE look funny).
Experience bij!