And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2009, 11:54:30 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 10:43:43 AM
Mexico is more important than Spain.  Therefore, the Mexican way of speaking Spanish trumps the Spanish way. :)

Mexico is terrorized by drug terrorists, Spain is terrorized by nationalist terrorists.  Mexico wins.

Heh. ETA is a very, very localized phenomenon. Violence in Spain is much lower than in the States*, not to mention Mexico which is pretty much a war zone.

*It has increased with mass immigration, but generally they tend to kill each other.

Savonarola

Quote from: Iormlund on August 18, 2009, 12:57:32 PM

*It has increased with mass immigration, but generally they tend to kill each other.

If you discount black on black crime, Detroit has almost no violence.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Iormlund

I suspect that if you discount blacks, Detroit would have almost no population. :P

Caliga

Quote from: Iormlund on August 18, 2009, 12:57:32 PMHeh. ETA is a very, very localized phenomenon. Violence in Spain is much lower than in the States*, not to mention Mexico which is pretty much a war zone.

So?  Why does violence make them less important countries?  Why, World War II was the most violent war in history, but that doesn't make history's least important war.  :)

This analogy brought to you by Marti Enterprises(TM).  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

I don't mean to question Spain's immigration policies but why are you letting masses of people enter the country with your unemployement being so massively high?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2009, 01:44:46 PM

I don't mean to question Spain's immigration policies but why are you letting masses of people enter the country with your unemployement being so massively high?
short trip from africa would be my major guess.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

Letting people in has nothing to do with immigration. As your own experience with Mexicans shows. If they want to get here they will do so.

Anyway, most came during the last decade, when unemployment was in record lows. The crisis, of course, has changed that and now our politicians are desperately trying to ... shed some weight, by encouraging them to return home.

Iormlund

Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2009, 01:50:05 PM
short trip from africa would be my major guess.

Not really. Most illegals enter the country legally, then stay once their student/tourist/work visa is no longer valid.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on August 18, 2009, 01:53:22 PM
Letting people in has nothing to do with immigration. As your own experience with Mexicans shows. If they want to get here they will do so.

Well they come here to work and send money home.  They don't come to just hang out and be unemployed, they can do that just fine back home in Mexico.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

stjaba

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2009, 09:29:04 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 18, 2009, 06:59:29 AM
That may be the case in Spain, but even in my Spanish class at University we learned the Latin American version of the language, which included contractions, etc. (

:bleeding:

All throughout high school and college, I was fortunate enough to only be taught Spanish the way God wants us to speak it.  Vosotros FTW

My family and I's experience has been simialar to yours. My brother, who was more or less fluent in Spanish(due to our Cuban background) before he started taking Spanish classes in high school got crappy grades because his grammar and spelling were poor were "non-standard." At UF, which has tons of native speakers taking Spanish classes, the standard that is taught is standard Spanish. Now, while people do not necessarily use the vosotros form in upper level classes, sloppiness is not tolerated either.

Sheilbh

Mexico is more important than Spain.  Therefore, the Mexican way of speaking Spanish trumps the Spanish way. :)
:lol:

Mexico is nowhere near as important as Spain.

Also Mexican Spanish is hideous.  I look forward to the Argentine dominance of Spanish :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2009, 02:03:01 PM

Also Mexican Spanish is hideous.  I look forward to the Argentine dominance of Spanish :mmm:

Chinga tu madre.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

saskganesh

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2009, 02:03:01 PM
:lol:

Mexico is nowhere near as important as Spain.

Mexico has a higher GDP I think. what's your gauge?
humans were created in their own image

Octavian

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 11:52:17 AM
Mexico borders the United States, and therefore a bit of our awesomeness spills over the border and gives Mexico the win.

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee