News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2009, 09:33:58 AMNo, just someone who enjoys really horrible beer.
There is a time and place for Corona. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2009, 09:33:58 AMNo, just someone who enjoys really horrible beer.
There is a time and place for Corona. ^_^

Not if you're old enough to know better :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on August 18, 2009, 06:59:29 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2009, 07:40:48 PM
Unlike English, which lacks a similar body AFAIK, correct Spanish is regulated by the Real Academia (which accepts members and terms from other countries, not just Spain). The French have something similar in the Académie française.
There are no shorthands of that kind in Spanish. I'm sure people over there use it, but just like using "your" when it should be "you're", it is still incorrect.

That may be the case in Spain, but even in my Spanish class at University we learned the Latin American version of the language, which included contractions, etc. (To be fair, we learned them because of the students asking about what they already knew from native Spanish speakers, but it came up, was addressed, and in essence became part of the lesson.)

Your governing body may try to govern the language, but it's failing miserably on this side of the ocean. :D

There's also an "Academia Norteamericana de la Lengua Española" as well, so it's also yours.  :P

http://www.anle.us/

Caliga

Mexico is more important than Spain.  Therefore, the Mexican way of speaking Spanish trumps the Spanish way. :)

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 10:42:27 AM
There's also an "Academia Norteamericana de la Lengua Española" as well, so it's also yours.  :P

http://www.anle.us/

Apparently they are trying to bring the inquisition here by publishing a 3,000 page grammar guide.  I doubt they'll be able to stamp out "esponsorizar" or "retaliación" (as this article decries) but power to them on their quixotic journey?

http://www.nydailynews.com/latino/2009/05/14/2009-05-14_academy_to_become_spanish_inquisitor_.html
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 11:30:50 AM

Apparently they are trying to bring the inquisition here by publishing a 3,000 page grammar guide.  I doubt they'll be able to stamp out "esponsorizar" or "retaliación" (as this article decries) but power to them on their quixotic journey?

That would be a quijotic journey.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 10:43:43 AM
Mexico is more important than Spain. 

Spain has fewer people but a higher GNP.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Mexico borders the United States, and therefore a bit of our awesomeness spills over the border and gives Mexico the win.

Stuff spills over the border the other way, too, and I guess its awesomeness is debatable, but I for one appreciate the resulting cheapness of my sausage.  :)

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 10:43:43 AM
Mexico is more important than Spain.  Therefore, the Mexican way of speaking Spanish trumps the Spanish way. :)

Mexico is terrorized by drug terrorists, Spain is terrorized by nationalist terrorists.  Mexico wins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

BuddhaRhubarb

I predict in 100 years Spain will be speaking Mexican. It's all part of Montezuma's Revenge. :p
:p

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 11:30:50 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/latino/2009/05/14/2009-05-14_academy_to_become_spanish_inquisitor_.html
According to the article (leaving out the hyperbole), all the Academy is really doing is helping the US government make sure its Spanish-language messages are in proper Spanish.  I see no harm in that.  The publishing of a grammar guide in Spanish seems no more quixotic than doing the same in English (and there are plenty of those).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2009, 11:56:55 AM
According to the article (leaving out the hyperbole), all the Academy is really doing is helping the US government make sure its Spanish-language messages are in proper Spanish.  I see no harm in that.  The publishing of a grammar guide in Spanish seems no more quixotic than doing the same in English (and there are plenty of those).

As far as I know the Academy's goal is to support and promote the correct usage of Spanish, which I supposed is defined by the Royal Academy of Spanish (being as the North American chapter is an affiliate.  I don't think there is a problem in helping our government communicate (we already know that they have translation issues -_-) but I can't help but wonder at using Spanish that might not actually be most comfortable/familiar with the Spanish speaking population. I do think it is a little quixotic to attempt to control the evolution of a language, although it may be the case that the North American academy refrains from that, leaving such to the Royal Academy.

In fact, from their site it looks like the North American academy just wants to encourage people to speak/know Spanish...although they have participated in conferences that seek to redefine spelling rules. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.