News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Slargos on August 14, 2009, 02:50:20 PM
If a pig is born in a stable and spends all its time among the horses, is it then a horse?  ;)
If a pig is raised by dogs and learns how to herd sheep, should it be allowed to enter the sheep herding competiton?

garbon

If a pig is born in a stable and spends all its time among the horses, is it then a horse?  ;)

Aww, you fell into the trap of thinking that race is like species. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 02:32:27 PM
It shouldn't make or mean anything. -_-

No, and yet it does. Maybe because of the fostering situation, maybe because of the cultural implications, maybe because of the perceptions of others when I say and do things that to them must seem "affected".

It's just all a bit... difficult when you're not perfectly white and lovely like Neil. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2009, 02:54:03 PM
No, and yet it does. Maybe because of the fostering situation, maybe because of the cultural implications, maybe because of the perceptions of others when I say and do things that to them must seem "affected".

It's just all a bit... difficult when you're not perfectly white and lovely like Neil. :)

Obviously one's upbringing has an effect on one's person, but I don't really see what they has to do with struggling to find labels.  I don't struggle with my racial identity, I'm just me. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 14, 2009, 02:52:51 PM
If a pig is raised by dogs and learns how to herd sheep, should it be allowed to enter the sheep herding competiton?

A pertinent question.

I suppose if the pig has some sort of genetic advantage over dogs in sheepherding it would be unfair to let it partake, given the spirit of competition.

Given, however, that pigs generally don't herd sheep it can atleast be assumed that it is because they're no good at it, and therefore in the spirit of equal opportunities the pig should be allowed to compete.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 03:03:34 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2009, 02:54:03 PM

Obviously one's upbringing has an effect on one's person, but I don't really see what they has to do with struggling to find labels.  I don't struggle with my racial identity, I'm just me. ;)

Your struggle with race turned you gay.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 02:53:26 PM

Aww, you fell into the trap of thinking that race is like species. :console:

Yeah, I'm sorry. You're totally a white guy.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2009, 10:41:45 PM
Yep, that's what my white mother told me as well. If they want to offer the handout, I'll be happy to take it :)

:bleeding:  My kid will not do that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 03:11:54 PM
Why not take free perks? :unsure:

Dignity. 

And not wanting to validate such a flawed system that doles out jobs/benefits/educational opportunities based upon race or ethnicity or whatever.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2009, 03:22:04 PM
And not wanting to validate such a flawed system that doles out jobs/benefits/educational opportunities based upon race or ethnicity or whatever.
:thumbsup:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive