And we're back!

Main Menu

Animals you consider too smart to eat

Started by Ideologue, August 13, 2009, 06:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 13, 2009, 08:55:00 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 13, 2009, 08:29:00 AM
FWIW I don't think cows are particularly stupid, but I don't see anyone on Languish saying we should not eat beef.

Lots of people don't eat beef
Amended. -_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

We shouldn't eat beef.

Bison is much tastier and healthier.  :alberta:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 08:01:30 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 13, 2009, 07:56:48 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 07:51:03 AM
If they were really smart, we wouldn't need to have this debate.

Not necessarily--people actually did and do eat apes and dolphin often enough, but more modern sensibilities tend to be repulsed at the notion, due to a growing recognition of intelligence.

If they are not smart enough to avoid being a tasty snack, then they are not smart enough to worry about, obviously.
Even if Dolphins were as smart as humans or smarter, how could they possibly prevent us from eating them if we wanted to? They live in the sea and have no limbs with which to manipulate their environment and produce tools with.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 13, 2009, 10:37:47 AM
Even if Dolphins were as smart as humans or smarter, how could they possibly prevent us from eating them if we wanted to? They live in the sea and have no limbs with which to manipulate their environment and produce tools with?

Telekinesis?

Dunno how they would evolve that intelligence without also having ways to utilize it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 13, 2009, 07:56:48 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 07:51:03 AM
If they were really smart, we wouldn't need to have this debate.

Not necessarily--people actually did and do eat apes and dolphin often enough, but more modern sensibilities tend to be repulsed at the notion, due to a growing recognition of intelligence.

If they are not smart enough to avoid being a tasty snack, then they are not smart enough to worry about, obviously.
Even if Dolphins were as smart as humans or smarter, how could they possibly prevent us from eating them if we wanted to? They live in the sea and have no limbs with which to manipulate their environment and produce tools with?

They could hire lawyers to sue anyone who eats them, paying in undersea treasures.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

I Killed Kenny

DisturbedPervert

Even if Dolphins were as smart as humans or smarter, how could they possibly prevent us from eating them if we wanted to? They live in the sea and have no limbs with which to manipulate their environment and produce tools with.

All the monkeys will pay

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28315

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on August 13, 2009, 06:59:57 AM
Attendants at the Augusta Languish meet may or may not recall that I deeply enjoy calamari, but a few years back I stopped eating cephalopods, for the same reason that I would refuse to eat dog or cat.  Octopi and cuttlefish are clearly too intelligent to be ethically consumed, and squid are borderline enough to qualify for protection.

Naturally, I would expect most people here would not even consider eating a great ape, cetacean, or elephant, animals approaching human levels of sapience, at least outside of a starvation scenario that would already permit a justification for eating other people.

I'm also disturbed by the possibility that pigs are cat/dog-level intelligent, because pig meat is too delicious to say goodbye to.

Are there any animals that you won't eat, because you consider their cognitive abilities to be sufficient to permit them a right to live?

Syt, whatever name he's posting under or if he's still here, need not reply to this, because "none" is not a terribly interesting answer. :P

1. Why wouldn't you eat an intelligent animal? I'm not interested in eating great apes but that has more to do with their hairy humanesque looks and HIV rumors. Whale or elephant isn't served a lot in Sweden but if I got some I would eat it without giving the possibly high intelligence of the animal a thought.

2. Pigs are bright, that is well known. Our Western tradition of not eating cats and dogs has nothing to do with the perceived intelligence level of the animals.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 13, 2009, 07:57:11 AM
To be honest, no. I've had Guinea pig, I love squid, I've had dog (tastes like beef, btw). I wish I had tried ox and horse when I was in Mongolia. I'll try pretty much anything that's tasty and not human.

An ox is a castrated steer; you've probably had it somewhere along the way.

I've had cured horse (like horse ham) in Verona.  It was unbelievably salty.  Horse is a specialty of Parma; I got a chuckle out of the many restaurants which advertised "Horse Roast-Beef Style" there. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 13, 2009, 09:09:22 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 13, 2009, 08:55:00 AM
FWIW I don't think cows are particularly stupid, but I don't see anyone on Languish saying we should not eat beef.

Lots of people don't eat beef
Amended. -_-

I suppose I wouldn't tell anyone not to eat beef, but I generally won't eat it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

So eating babies, no big deal?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

FWIW I don't think cows are particularly stupid

Are you kidding me?   I worked with cattle for many years and they are dumbest fucking things ever, which is a rather common trait for big herd herbivores.  Brains are not really required to group up together and eat everything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on August 13, 2009, 10:34:00 AM
We shouldn't eat beef.

Bison is much tastier and healthier.  :alberta:

I agree, but grass fed beef is also really lean. people need powerful protein.
humans were created in their own image