News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Animals you consider too smart to eat

Started by Ideologue, August 13, 2009, 06:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2009, 02:38:42 AM
I was recently told that though the Chinese eat dogs and cats they find the eating of Lobsters barbaric.  Most Chinese households have a pet lobster and it's not uncommon to see people outside walking them on the sidewalk.  Different cultures I suppose.
I deleted what I originally wrote. 

Walking lobsters? Really? On little leashes?  Do they take them out on Incan torpedo boats for summer holidays?
PDH!

The Larch

Darth Wagtaros

I don't think lobsters can even walk on land.  Let alone survive out of water.  Unless the Chicoms have developed a master race of giant space lobsters.  The secret Origin of Doctor Zoidburg.
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 14, 2009, 06:31:38 AM
I don't think lobsters can even walk on land.  Let alone survive out of water.  Unless the Chicoms have developed a master race of giant space lobsters.  The secret Origin of Doctor Zoidburg.
Dunno.  Depends on how long they can keep moisture in their gills.  Pill bugs, another crustacean, do it fine, and crabs routinely leave the water.  But lobsters are obviously marine, so I don't know how far this analogy goes--I mean, whales breathe air, but dehydrate and die shockingly swiftly.

However, I think it would be neat if there are Chinese Crazy Lobster Ladies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 14, 2009, 06:31:38 AM
I don't think lobsters can even walk on land.  Let alone survive out of water. 

They can survive on land for a bit.  I can remember trying to make lobsters fight each other as a kid before throwing them in to the pot of boiling water.

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2009, 04:19:28 PM
Quote from: ulmont on August 13, 2009, 03:13:00 PM
As opposed to corn (or chickpeas, or wheat, etc.) fed beef.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedlot

:mmm: corn fed beef

@ Jos- why rodents?
I've always had them as pets and like them. They're clever and pretty human like in some of their behaviour.
That you would have to kill a dozen of them to get a decent meal just adds to the no factor.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I had a pet guinea pig and my brother had a pet mouse.  I always liked rodent pets, but Princesca will not have them.  :(

I liked the mouse better.  He was a tough little fucker.  My brother forgot about him for a couple of weeks once and he was still alive.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Dolphins which will soon be eaten in the Faroe Islands.

As they say in Canton, "The Cantonese will eat anything on the ground but the chair, anything in the water but the ship and anything in the air but the aeroplane."
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sahib

Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 07:13:36 AM
I had a pet guinea pig and my brother had a pet mouse.  I always liked rodent pets, but Princesca will not have them.  :(

I liked the mouse better.  He was a tough little fucker.  My brother forgot about him for a couple of weeks once and he was still alive.  :cool:
Friend of mine has a big rodent fetish.  He claims the many cardboard tubes in his house are for his guinea pigs to chew on, but we know better. :(

Apparently guinea pigs are used forp izza toppings in some countries.
PDH!

Caliga

Well, they're raised in little herds specificially for their meat in Peru.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 13, 2009, 03:07:58 PM
Valmy's a cowboy!?

On my Uncle's farm in Oklahoma...I did all my cowboying on foot though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 14, 2009, 06:13:14 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2009, 02:38:42 AM
I was recently told that though the Chinese eat dogs and cats they find the eating of Lobsters barbaric.  Most Chinese households have a pet lobster and it's not uncommon to see people outside walking them on the sidewalk.  Different cultures I suppose.
I deleted what I originally wrote. 

Walking lobsters? Really? On little leashes?  Do they take them out on Incan torpedo boats for summer holidays?

What did you originally write?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 14, 2009, 07:57:46 AM
Friend of mine has a big rodent fetish.  He claims the many cardboard tubes in his house are for his guinea pigs to chew on, but we know better. :(

Apparently guinea pigs are used forp izza toppings in some countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=136cNGNd7Yg
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive