Canadian Woman Allowed To Return Thanks To DNA Test

Started by Josephus, August 12, 2009, 10:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Wow, that Chris Hume guy is quite the asshole, isn't he?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Well at least she wasn't murder by a Canadian Healthcare Death Panel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

QuoteBut it is a point worth remembering, especially in the face of mounting evidence that Prime Minister Stephen Harper's regime is determined to create different categories of citizenship. According to the administration's new meaning of Canadian citizenship, the main qualification is not residence, place of birth, oath of allegiance or passport – it's the colour of your skin.

And in Canada today, God help you if you're not white, because the federal government sure won't. Indeed, that government creates these problems in the first place.

I bet his analysis would be completely different if the Liberals were in power.

QuoteThis isn't just another political scandal; this is cause for deep national shame. This smacks not just of prejudice, but of apartheid.

What?  It also wasn't genocide?  Hyperbole fail.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2009, 11:04:00 AMSounds like she just got screwed to me via bureaucratic BS.  That is always a danger you have to consider when you go abroad...especially to places like Kenya where things have been a bit sketchy of late.

That's a fucking retarded statement from you Valmy.  Seriously.

You should consider that your own government decides not to help you if you go to places like Kenya?

saskganesh

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2009, 12:33:18 PM

on this topic, yeah, he's playing one quite well.

he's a very good urban affairs/architecture critic.

but onto the subject, I think its more to do with bureaucratic irresponsibility than a government-sponsored program of applied racism. for example, Harper and co. implemented  a mass rescue of Lebanese Canadians (50,000?) in 2006. if he was raciss, he would not do that (nor would he be aggressively courting immigrant groups to be part of his Conservative Party.)

now, whoever fucked up here, I hope they do get disciplined.
humans were created in their own image

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on August 12, 2009, 01:03:21 PM

You should consider that your own government decides not to help you if you go to places like Kenya?

He'll probably be fine, as long as he goes within the next 4-8 years. They wouldn't want to embarrass the God-Emperor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2009, 11:04:00 AMSounds like she just got screwed to me via bureaucratic BS.  That is always a danger you have to consider when you go abroad...especially to places like Kenya where things have been a bit sketchy of late.

Yes not going to North Korea and assuming I can just rely on my government to bail me out if I get screwed around by the local authorities is totally retarded.  I am now being smart and booking my trip to Pyongyang as I type.

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2009, 12:33:18 PM

I don't know who he is, but he certainly paints a rosy picture of how things could be. :wub:

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 11:16:20 AM
Sorry if I missed the story about the Ukrainian Canadian held in a Ukrainian jail for 12 weeks and Canadian authorities not doing anything.

Link?

How about the Polish citizen who was tazered and died while in RCMP custody?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

These kinds of situations are a minefield for the government though.  Canadian citizens frequently get into legal trouble in foreign countries.  And most of the time it is well deserved.  It's very difficult for Canadian consular officials to be able to validate someone's claim of opression in a foreign country when they have zero resources on the ground.

And the example of Lebanon is interesting because I think the government got quite a bit of heat for that after spending millions of dollars to evacuate people, only to find most of them returned within a year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 01:16:21 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 11:16:20 AM
Sorry if I missed the story about the Ukrainian Canadian held in a Ukrainian jail for 12 weeks and Canadian authorities not doing anything.

Link?

How about the Polish citizen who was tazered and died while in RCMP custody?

It wasn't the right Pole sadly :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 01:22:16 PM

These kinds of situations are a minefield for the government though.  Canadian citizens frequently get into legal trouble in foreign countries.  And most of the time it is well deserved.  It's very difficult for Canadian consular officials to be able to validate someone's claim of opression in a foreign country when they have zero resources on the ground.

And the example of Lebanon is interesting because I think the government got quite a bit of heat for that after spending millions of dollars to evacuate people, only to find most of them returned within a year.

I suspect that the complaint is that they are willing to try harder for some people than for others. I suspect this is true - in this case not so much based on "race" but rather on posting. If you are posted to a place where a lot of scamming goes on, you are more likely to be less solicitous.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2009, 01:10:21 PMYes not going to North Korea and assuming I can just rely on my government to bail me out if I get screwed around by the local authorities is totally retarded.  I am now being smart and booking my trip to Pyongyang as I type.

I guess we have very different ideas about what a government is supposed to do.  For me, one of the first duties of a government is to help out its citizens abroad if they get in trouble.

I dunno... maybe it's a cultural thing.