Canadian Woman Allowed To Return Thanks To DNA Test

Started by Josephus, August 12, 2009, 10:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

A similar situation is getting a lot of press in Sweden after a "swedish" journalist was imprisoned in Eritrea.

Shocking news revealed that the filthy eritrean barbarians would not release him even after a signature campaign in Sweden managed to get one HUNDRED THOUSAND signatures to a document DEMANDING his release. Only proves there are at the very least 100,000 idiots in Sweden.

Fucker has dual citizenship and gained entry on his eritrean passport. Let him fucking rot.

That he's a journalist only makes the story the much sweeter.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 01:22:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 12, 2009, 01:03:21 PM
That's a fucking retarded statement from you Valmy.  Seriously.

You should consider that your own government decides not to help you if you go to places like Kenya?

These kinds of situations are a minefield for the government though.  Canadian citizens frequently get into legal trouble in foreign countries.  And most of the time it is well deserved.  It's very difficult for Canadian consular officials to be able to validate someone's claim of opression in a foreign country when they have zero resources on the ground.

Beeb, I don't disagree with you.

But this isn't a case where a person was trying to smuggle dope from Turkey. Or rape a teenager in Thailand.. This was simply a woman, with family, including a son, in Canada; whom Canadian authorities in Kenya decided to leave a languish in a jail cause they did not believe she was Canadian...when she clearly was.

Think about that. She did not break any laws.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on August 12, 2009, 12:11:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2009, 10:54:18 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 10:52:40 AM
This wouldn't have happened if she was white.

I bet bad things sometimes happen to white people to.

absolutely. Canada is equal opportunity when it comes to abandoning our citizens overseas.

William Sampson was a small time bootlegger in Ridyah, but was detained and tortured because of fabricated terrorism connections. the Canadian government trusted the word of the Saudis and Sampson rotted for two and a half years in an Arabian jail.
And he deserved it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2009, 01:30:27 PM
A similar situation is getting a lot of press in Sweden after a "swedish" journalist was imprisoned in Eritrea.

Shocking news revealed that the filthy eritrean barbarians would not release him even after a signature campaign in Sweden managed to get one HUNDRED THOUSAND signatures to a document DEMANDING his release. Only proves there are at the very least 100,000 idiots in Sweden.

Fucker has dual citizenship and gained entry on his eritrean passport. Let him fucking rot.

As a journalist with dual citizenship, I shall ignore this.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Slargos

Quote from: Jacob on August 12, 2009, 01:30:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2009, 01:10:21 PMYes not going to North Korea and assuming I can just rely on my government to bail me out if I get screwed around by the local authorities is totally retarded.  I am now being smart and booking my trip to Pyongyang as I type.

I guess we have very different ideas about what a government is supposed to do.  For me, one of the first duties of a government is to help out its citizens abroad if they get in trouble.

I dunno... maybe it's a cultural thing.

Within reason.

When people put themselves in sticky situations it's unreasonable to expect the Government to pull off a daring rescue from your own stupidity.

It's nice if they do, but I don't think you should expect it.

Every time a sob story is posted about the poor refugees who are stranded on vacation in the country they "fled" from when new shit breaks loose, I get a hearty laugh.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 12:27:02 PM
Oh, allright.

I'll retract the white argument.

But first this:
:lol:

Well, Chris Hume certainly seems to want to make the white argument for you, doesn't he?  Then again, it's the Star, so what do you expect?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 01:32:12 PM

Just remember when you smuggle drugs into Malta you're on your own.   :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I guess we have very different ideas about what a government is supposed to do.  For me, one of the first duties of a government is to help out its citizens abroad if they get in trouble.

Um...what a bizarre thing to say.  Obviously I do consider it one of the first duties of a government to help out its citizens abroad.

That you might consider it possible that your government might fail to do so and should avoid situations where the only thing between you and catastrophe is the quick action by federal bureaucrats is pretty much a given.  Sometimes the system fails.

When you go abroad you are taking a risk, particularly going to a place like Russia or Pakistan or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 01:32:12 PM

If you're ever stupid enough to go somewhere you know there is reasonable risk of your being imprisoned on trumped up charges, I will laugh at you too.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 01:30:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 01:22:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 12, 2009, 01:03:21 PM
That's a fucking retarded statement from you Valmy.  Seriously.

You should consider that your own government decides not to help you if you go to places like Kenya?

These kinds of situations are a minefield for the government though.  Canadian citizens frequently get into legal trouble in foreign countries.  And most of the time it is well deserved.  It's very difficult for Canadian consular officials to be able to validate someone's claim of opression in a foreign country when they have zero resources on the ground.

Beeb, I don't disagree with you.

But this isn't a case where a person was trying to smuggle dope from Turkey. Or rape a teenager in Thailand.. This was simply a woman, with family, including a son, in Canada; whom Canadian authorities in Kenya decided to leave a languish in a jail cause they did not believe she was Canadian...when she clearly was.

Think about that. She did not break any laws.

Put yourself in the place of the DFAIT civil servant though.

You have someone in Kenya who is claiming to be a Canadian citizen.  You have reports that Kenyan officials think she is using someone else's passport.  Are they just supposed to believe this claim right off the bat?

Now yes you can say that more should have been done.  But it's a tough situation, like I said.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

QuoteOur demand is very simple: Free Dawit Isaak. Our cause will be powerless without your help. We need your name in the fight for Isaak's release. Every added name to the list s a small step closer to freedom for Dawit Isaak. Show your commitment. Go into any of our web sites and sign the petition.

What's even more hilarious is that he would probably be released in an instant if we simply turned off the foreign aid to those fuckers for even a day.

Signatures. Hah.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 01:22:16 PMThese kinds of situations are a minefield for the government though.  Canadian citizens frequently get into legal trouble in foreign countries.  And most of the time it is well deserved.  It's very difficult for Canadian consular officials to be able to validate someone's claim of opression in a foreign country when they have zero resources on the ground.

Sure, but that does not apply to this case by any stretch, which is why it is outrageous.  She had her Canadian ID and she had tons of circumstantial support like all kinds of paraphernalia from her life in Canada not to mention a child and employer in Canada verifying her identity.  The Canadian government shockingly failed their duty in this case.

QuoteAnd the example of Lebanon is interesting because I think the government got quite a bit of heat for that after spending millions of dollars to evacuate people, only to find most of them returned within a year.

It didn't get any heat from me.  And whatever that situation, it is entirely different from this scandal.

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2009, 11:13:57 AM
Heh, anyone thinking this is a "racial issue" should try dealing with the Canadian immigration authorities in Ukraine.  :lol:

Fact is, some places in the world are more productive of various sorts of scams and system-gaming, and the authorities are *much* more likely to be jaded and unhelpful if you have the misfortune to be from there - has nothing whatsoever to do with "race", necesarily (last I checked Ukranians were "white").

Really, Malty. Ukes are only white by the same loose definition that puts mestizos and moors in the category.

Next, you'll be claiming Russians are also white.

Who do you think you're kidding?

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2009, 01:10:21 PMYes not going to North Korea and assuming I can just rely on my government to bail me out if I get screwed around by the local authorities is totally retarded.  I am now being smart and booking my trip to Pyongyang as I type.

It must be.

Jacob

Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2009, 01:33:36 PM
Within reason.

When people put themselves in sticky situations it's unreasonable to expect the Government to pull off a daring rescue from your own stupidity.

It's not putting yourself in a sticky situation to go traveling to a country where you follow your governments travel advisory - in this case, the government says "A valid Canadian Passport is required for Canadians intending to visit Kenya", which this woman has.