Main Menu

The Everyposter

Started by Eddie Teach, August 08, 2009, 09:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swallow

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2009, 12:58:41 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 09, 2009, 08:10:45 PM
Platonic ideal?  Monkeybutt or Berkut.  Both smart and funny guys, but their status as the exemplar depends entirely on whether you think Languish is or ideally ought to be kind of a belligerent mellow or a bit higher strung and fuller of generalized hate.

Edit: Actually, split the difference, and call it "Vinraith."

Vinny is too think-skinned - otherwise, he would be a great nominee. Lacking an ability to get in an argument without going nuclear and stomping from the room isn't going to work on Languish.

I am much too disliked by the lefty fringe/crazies though. Need someone who is moderate, opinionated, but not objectionable, but still willing to get in and mix it up occasionally.

For a guy who doesn't get all tribal it's always the leftys that are after you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: swallow on August 10, 2009, 04:44:13 PM
...effectively?

obviously not, as his 100% conviction rate attests. :Canuck:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2009, 04:44:26 PM
Platonic ideal?  Monkeybutt or Berkut.  Both smart and funny guys, but their status as the exemplar depends entirely on whether you think Languish is or ideally ought to be kind of a belligerent mellow or a bit higher strung and fuller of generalized hate.

Vinny is too think-skinned - otherwise, he would be a great nominee. Lacking an ability to get in an argument without going nuclear and stomping from the room isn't going to work on Languish.

I am much too disliked by the lefty fringe/crazies though. Need someone who is moderate, opinionated, but not objectionable, but still willing to get in and mix it up occasionally.

For a guy who doesn't get all tribal it's always the leftys that are after you.

LOL, you don't pay much attention do you?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

swallow

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 10, 2009, 04:47:15 PM
...effectively?

I should think someone in his line of work finds it pretty easy to make his point in every day life

Ideologue

I'm a lefty fringe crazy and I like you.

Quote from: swallowGood memory, gamer, touch of Asperger's, not used to being effectively challenged in an argument   and into bowel movements.

I stick by my choices then. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2009, 06:39:31 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2009, 05:10:11 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 10, 2009, 02:50:07 AM
I always thought a Platonic ideal was an abstract version of what a thing *is* and not what it tries to be. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, the other allusion(the "everyman") should clearly rule out Berkut in this context.

Berkut is the face of the American Dream come true.

The American dream does not involve being a bitter cuckold who hates non-white and the poor.
I miss something?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Valmy?

Von Moltke is kind of a bridge between a lot of different types of posters. Malthus is a good choice too.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: swallow on August 10, 2009, 04:58:36 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 10, 2009, 04:47:15 PM
...effectively?

I should think someone in his line of work finds it pretty easy to make his point in every day life

I find that I am very good at making my point.  What I am not always good at is getting other people to adopt my point as their own.  :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

I think it's obvious. We are all Yi.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2009, 06:06:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2009, 06:39:31 AM
The American dream does not involve being a bitter cuckold who hates non-white and the poor.
I miss something?  :huh:
If you caught the fact that Raz is an asshole, you missed nothing.

If I had to say who personifies the Platonic Ideal of the Languish poster, I would say Habsburg. He is funny, informative, impossible to lay a glove on, and devoid of enemies.

We are just all pretty far from that ideal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I think Raz is claiming to have had sex with my wife.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2009, 09:39:39 PM
I think Raz is claiming to have had sex with my wife.
Well, at least he'd be getting out of the house.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on August 10, 2009, 08:35:42 PM
If I had to say who personifies the Platonic Ideal of the Languish poster, I would say Habsburg. He is funny, informative, impossible to lay a glove on, and devoid of enemies.

He is my enemy, namely for his homocentricity when it comes to movies.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on August 10, 2009, 08:35:42 PM

Imbecile. He's had plenty of... oh OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.