News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Critics not Allowd to Preview GI Joe

Started by Savonarola, August 06, 2009, 11:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I was able to get some enjoyment from D&D purely because it was D&D. I recall when the Beholder showed up I was rather thrilled. And this was pre-LOTR times.
Still, far from a good film.

Thinking of that though has got me trying to remember if I've ever walked out of a film...I'm sure there may have been one but for the life of me I can't remember what.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 06, 2009, 02:42:30 PM
I saw dungeons and dragons with a severe upper respiratory infection.  I still don't know if I spent it miserable because of that or because of the plot, acting, dialogue, and special effects.
You forgot cinematography and set-making. I watched it and actually suppressed all memory of the movie; the punch line is that I'm not kidding. I actually can't remember what I watched from it 5 minutes after doing so. In the Name of the King was actually a better movie.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on August 06, 2009, 03:02:10 PM
I was able to get some enjoyment from D&D purely because it was D&D. I recall when the Beholder showed up I was rather thrilled. And this was pre-LOTR times.
Still, far from a good film.

Thinking of that though has got me trying to remember if I've ever walked out of a film...I'm sure there may have been one but for the life of me I can't remember what.
I left the latest Superman movie.  Fell asleep during Starship Trooperrs. 
PDH!

Eddie Teach

I walk out of films all the time.

Weak bladder.  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2009, 08:29:27 AM

I walk out of films all the time.

Weak bladder.  :blush:

:console:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

This can't be entirely true b/c the Financial Times ran a review yesterday, and they are hardly a friendly audience.  Perhaps the producers felt that it is a niche publication whose readers are far outside their target demo so no harm.  But the review seemed to indicate that there were a number of other reviewers present.

Needless to say he panned the film, although he did give two stars, so it could have been worse (he usually doesn't hesitate to give 1 star).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 07, 2009, 10:32:40 AM
This can't be entirely true b/c the Financial Times ran a review yesterday, and they are hardly a friendly audience.  Perhaps the producers felt that it is a niche publication whose readers are far outside their target demo so no harm.  But the review seemed to indicate that there were a number of other reviewers present.

Needless to say he panned the film, although he did give two stars, so it could have been worse (he usually doesn't hesitate to give 1 star).

CNN has a review up as well.  Even so, not letting most reviewers preview the work is not usually a good sign.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Providence Journal gave it 2 and 1/2 stars and called it the most violent PG-13 film ever made, worse than many R rated films.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 07, 2009, 11:03:20 AM
Providence Journal gave it 2 and 1/2 stars and called it the most violent PG-13 film ever made, worse than many R rated films.
Well, that's just ridiculous.  I can't believe a GI Joe movie would contain an excessive amount of violence.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 07, 2009, 11:35:17 AM
Well, that's just ridiculous.  I can't believe a GI Joe movie would contain an excessive amount of violence.

I do find that hard to believe.  I cannot recall anybody actually getting hurt in a GI Joe cartoon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2009, 12:02:59 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 07, 2009, 11:35:17 AM

I do find that hard to believe.  I cannot recall anybody actually getting hurt in a GI Joe cartoon.
The reviewer made it sound like there were some pretty graphic death scenes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2009, 12:02:59 PM
No, but there was nonstop shooting and explosions, and I consider those items to be violent. :)

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 07, 2009, 12:06:51 PM
No, but there was nonstop shooting and explosions, and I consider those items to be violent. :)

Shooting with laser beams.  It was about as violent as laser tag.

It was especially amazing because even the machine guns shot lasters.

Graphic violence, blood and guts and all that good stuff, now that is not GI Joe. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

:blink:

So your position is basically that GI Joe was not a violent cartoon?  Am I reading your posts correctly?  I know you have not come out and said that but that's the subtext that I am seeing.