Things to do in Nashville when you're not dead

Started by Caliga, August 06, 2009, 08:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I shall be there in approximately two weeks' time in part to celebrate my tenth wedding anniversary.  We will be staying at the Opryland. :smoke:

I haven't been to Nashville since I was a teenager, so please to be suggesting things.  We will of course see a show at the Ryman, but I don't know if I'll be able to convince Princesca to go to the Nashville & Franklin battlefields.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Strix

Don't forget to visit McNair's apartment! It's the new Graceland.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

Caliga

:mad:

I realize that most of you people are Euros who have never travelled to the heartland of AmeriKKKKKKKKKKKa, but surely more people than just Strix have visited the Holy See of Country Music? :alberta:

jimmy olsen

I've been. Go to a bar. There's one street where there's nothing but bars with live music that stretches for a mile.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

I have of course been to nashville. This might have been something you should have asked me, being that I live in this state and make it my business to know local culture.

Unfortunately, I find that Nashville has not much to recommend it. I was appalled by the lack of blacks and the huge number of hispanics, easily dominating any comparison elsehwere. I went to a Mcdonalds and, rather than not speaking english, they spoke spanish. The manager interpreted; it was astounding, and I felt I'd gone somewhere foreign.

That, combined with the many posh parks on the way in, and huge mansion-esque homes on hills, made me feel..populist, and resentful.

The music is naturally not as good as Memphis's, but what could be? It has music aplenty and good food to recommend it; I trust you will not go far afield, as your posts here have singled you out as a man of discering tastes when it comes to cuisine.

I recall they had a much better army surplus store than Memphis, if your into that sort of thing.
And Franklin is nearby.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 11, 2009, 09:39:44 AM
I have of course been to nashville. This might have been something you should have asked me, being that I live in this state and make it my business to know local culture.

I did ask you.  I asked everybody. :)

Anyway, it's a good thing I didn't ask only you, because here's what I learned from your post: you're racist, poor, and a gun nut.  I already knew those things, so in truth I learned nothing... and I did know Franklin is nearby.  If I have time, I intend to swing by and take some pics with which to taunt you, since we both know how many Rebs were slaughtered on that glorious day.  :menace:

Lettow77

Racist? You wound me. It isnt a matter of race, but national origin- Those folk arent Southerners, whereas the blacks in memphis are. I should be assured service by Southerners in a Southern state, or at least Americans.

I had hoped you, at least, would understand the matter.

And yes, Franklin was a crying shame because Davis doesnt know how to pick them. Forrest should have been given everything he could ask for, and more. He'd have won us the war.

Edit: And a gun nut? Because of the army surplus store, I suppose? I wouldent think that has much to do with it. Army surplus stores are just nice places to get great products.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 11, 2009, 07:00:01 AM
:mad:

I realize that most of you people are Euros who have never travelled to the heartland of AmeriKKKKKKKKKKKa, but surely more people than just Strix have visited the Holy See of Country Music? :alberta:
I'm so glad that I've not and I hope I never will.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on August 11, 2009, 08:24:05 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on August 11, 2009, 09:39:44 AM

I did ask you.  I asked everybody. :)

Anyway, it's a good thing I didn't ask only you, because here's what I learned from your post: you're racist, poor, and a gun nut.  I already knew those things, so in truth I learned nothing... and I did know Franklin is nearby.  If I have time, I intend to swing by and take some pics with which to taunt you, since we both know how many Rebs were slaughtered on that glorious day.  :menace:

Plus you told Lettow where you'll be staying

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 11, 2009, 09:39:44 AMI went to a Mcdonalds and, rather than not speaking english, they spoke spanish. The manager interpreted; it was astounding, and I felt I'd gone somewhere foreign.

If you'd gone somewhere foreign, the McDonald's staff would probably speak some English.

CountDeMoney

The bar strip downtown across from the hockey arena is pretty cool, as Timmay said.  Cool thing is the town's live music; you could go to a C&W bar and right next to it is a metal club.
The main drag leading from Vanderbilt to downtown, lots of nice restaurants and clubs as well.

Very cool town, actually.  Go see the Parthenon.

Caliga

Princesca doesn't want to see the Parthenon because "Why not just see the real one in Athens?"

Because, umm... we have no plans at any point in the future to go to Athens?  :huh:

Anyway, I'm outta here.  LATER LOSERS  :bowler:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 21, 2009, 06:29:09 AM
Princesca doesn't want to see the Parthenon because "Why not just see the real one in Athens?"

Because the one in Athens was blown to hell when the Venetians decided to store their powder magazine inside it?

The one in Tennessee is a reproduction of what it might have looked like in its prime and is really something to see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

The Oak Ridge Boys at the Grand Old Opry RULED. :punk: