Do you pronounce the "t" in the word "often"?

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 05, 2009, 11:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, do you?

Yes
17 (45.9%)
No
20 (54.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2009, 12:03:05 PM
I always thought "water" in the Boston accent sounded like "WATTAH".

I always get the awfulness, that stems out of Boston and out of Worcester, confused.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

So many unpronounced letters in English words, and so little time to pronounce them...

English is an odd, tough language. I don't know how you "ferriners" do it, learn it.   ;)   But then, all languages seem to have similar type oddities.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: KRonn on August 05, 2009, 12:57:36 PM
So many unpronounced letters in English words, and so little time to pronounce them...

English is an odd, tough language. I don't know how you "ferriners" do it, learn it.   ;)   But then, all languages seem to have similar type oddities.
The worst thing in English is you cannot be sure how a word is pronounced until you hear someone else do it. Other than that, it is very easy to learn. German with those three genders is much harder.

I don´t pronounce the 't'.

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2009, 12:03:05 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 05, 2009, 11:55:00 AM
Around here 't's are often dropped if they are at the end of the word, or maybe turned into a 'd' sound, like water would sound like wadah or wader.  Cat would be Ca'. Kitty would be kiddy.
I always thought "water" in the Boston accent sounded like "WATTAH".
Thats Geordie.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I routinely laugh at non-native speakers who try to speak English.

KRonn

Quote from: Iormlund on August 05, 2009, 01:59:11 PM
Quote from: KRonn on August 05, 2009, 12:57:36 PM

The worst thing in English is you cannot be sure how a word is pronounced until you hear someone else do it. Other than that, it is very easy to learn. German with those three genders is much harder.

I don´t pronounce the 't'.
Yeah, that gender stuff in languages is crazy, or at least from an English speaker it takes me some getting used to. Should get rid of that stuff in any language where it exists. Be gender neutral instead!

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on August 05, 2009, 02:01:27 PM
Thats Geordie.
No, Geordie is the black dude from Reading Rainbow with wraparounds.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Monoriu

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

The Brain

Fuck you MIM. You started this shit, you end it.