Do you pronounce the "t" in the word "often"?

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 05, 2009, 11:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, do you?

Yes
17 (45.9%)
No
20 (54.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

MadImmortalMan

I was taught that the "t" is silent in the word "often", and I have always pronounced it that way. Almost nobody I know does this, but nobody ever thinks it's weird when I do it either. Pronouncing the "t"seems to have become the normal usage by sheer numbers. Is this one of those Upstate quirky things or what?

Dictionary.com lists my way first:

[aw-fuhn, of-uhn; awf-tuhn]

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadBurgerMaker

Caliga

Pronounce it "OFF-in".  No idea if this is normal or not.  I suppose I have a Philly accent, still, though I've deliberately tried to mask it and speak with a more neutral American accent.

Among the more fun Philly pronunciations:

coffee = KAWWF-e
water = WUDDUR
street = SCHTreet
berry = BURY
Philadelphia = FILL-uf-uyuh
I'm going to the beach = GWAN down-a-SHORE
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Eddie Teach

Sometimes. I grew up pronouncing it, but my high school drama teacher told us that was wrong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

The rest of the dictionary.com entry says two things about the word:

QuoteOften was pronounced with a t-sound until the 17th century, when a pronunciation without the /t/ came to predominate in the speech of the educated, in both North America and Great Britain, and the earlier pronunciation fell into disfavor. Common use of a spelling pronunciation has since restored the /t/[t] for many speakers, and today exist side by side. Although it is still sometimes criticized, often with a /t/[t] is now so widely heard from educated speakers that it has become fully standard once again.

QuoteDuring the 15th century English experienced a widespread loss of certain consonant sounds within consonant clusters, as the (d) in handsome and handkerchief, the (p) in consumption and raspberry, and the (t) in chestnut and often. In this way the consonant clusters were simplified and made easier to articulate. With the rise of public education and literacy and, consequently, people's awareness of spelling in the 19th century, sounds that had become silent sometimes were restored, as is the case with the t in often, which is now frequently pronounced. In other similar words, such as soften and listen, the t generally remains silent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Of course. It is pretty soft though. More of a 'uh' than a t.
██████
██████
██████

charliebear

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Quote from: charliebear on August 05, 2009, 11:41:34 AM
I was told it rhymed with "soften."
Do you pronounce the 't' in soften?

I pronounce it both ways, same as often.

BuddhaRhubarb

voted "no" as I think mostly I don't though I know I sometimes do, since I've caught myself doing so. I think it depends on the beer intake/strength of original accent formula you have. At least in my case. It's easier to peg where I'm from, the more I drink. or so I've Off-ten heard. :p
:p

Darth Wagtaros

Around here 't's are often dropped if they are at the end of the word, or maybe turned into a 'd' sound, like water would sound like wadah or wader.  Cat would be Ca'. Kitty would be kiddy. 
PDH!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 05, 2009, 11:55:00 AM
Around here 't's are often dropped if they are at the end of the word, or maybe turned into a 'd' sound, like water would sound like wadah or wader.  Cat would be Ca'. Kitty would be kiddy.
I always thought "water" in the Boston accent sounded like "WATTAH".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points