24 (35.8%)
D (poor)
10 (14.9%)
F (failing)
7 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2009, 03:26:47 PM
Not necessarily.  One could combine the ability to reason with a belief in "the greater good" and the end result is self-censorship.
Out of general interest where am I on the scale of partisan hackery? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2009, 04:50:29 PM
Not necessarily.  One could combine the ability to reason with a belief in "the greater good" and the end result is self-censorship.

Partisan - Moderate.

Hackery - Low.

Although to be fair, I am not familiar enough with brit politics to judge it in that context. I cannot really remember which party is which.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2009, 04:57:03 PM

Although to be fair, I am not familiar enough with brit politics to judge it in that context. I cannot really remember which party is which.

Labour - Centrist-left fruits

Tories -Centrist-Right fruits

Lib Dems- Flaming fruits and nuts

And a bunch of small fruity parties.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2009, 04:48:39 PM
I agree with the first part.  Do you not think that they've been making an argument consistently to oppose it and to turn opinion against it?  By avoiding making statements don't you also think they're to some extent trying to kill it by slowing it down.  That was LBJ's strategy, when he was in Majority Leader, for killing something he didn't want to be seen to be killing but did want to die.
I don't think the Republicans have been particularly vocal on the issue.  As I mentioned a while back, the kinds of things I've heard them say have been: a public option would hurt insurance companies (who cares) and it's a big chunck of GDP, we shouldn't rush into this.

The legislative battle is being fought between ObamaPelosiReid and the Blue Dogs.  Republicans are spectators.

There's a significant volume of issues ads on health care reform, but that's being financed and driven by special interest groups.

I can't guarantee there isn't at least GOP Congressman or Senator on record as opposing any kind of health care bill, but the elected officials and the RNC are bit players overall.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2009, 04:50:29 PM
10 being Fireblade, you're probably a 3.5.

Eddie Teach

The GOP pols may be keeping mum but their affiliated pundits are doing their best to sink the bill.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2009, 04:28:23 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2009, 04:26:02 PM
Anyway, on that amusing note, I'll end this pleasant exchange.  Back to by default mode of operation with that keen observer of forum members.

Meaning random drive by trolling while pretending not to read people posts who disagree with you but actually reading everything they post and around building up your emorage until you can't hold it in any longer?

Good luck with that. See you in a couple more months.

Okay just a question, but how are you able to read his mind like that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on August 11, 2009, 11:46:21 AM
Black Carter.  :)

My dad always reminded me of a white Bill Cosby.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Zow-ie.  That was quite the speech Obama just gave on health care.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2009, 12:29:11 PM
Yes, it was very powerful and moving.  Do you know what he said?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2009, 12:33:02 PM
Some.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2009, 12:35:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2009, 12:33:02 PM
Some.
Transcript and/or source for self-research?
Experience bij!

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2009, 12:29:11 PM

Was the things he said actually connected to his health care proposal?

I've heard a lot of Dems complain that what he says sounds very far reaching and reformist, while what he proposes has no actual relationship to such things, and are mostly reactionary and lack any real vision.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned