And we're back!

Main Menu

Ohio, the heart of it all

Started by Ed Anger, August 04, 2009, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 01, 2016, 09:06:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2016, 08:37:12 AM
Yes lets mandate expensive new wall requirements because one kid in Ohio did something. We'll make Canada pay for it.

So expensive that every private pool owner in this city can afford them around their entire pools, but evidently large zoos in the US can't afford them across their gorilla habitats.  :huh: I guess it is true about the sad decline of the states ...  :P

If you own a private pool in a bubble infested real-estate dystopia like Toronto you are already used to shelling out obscene amounts of money for walls. That doesn't mean we want to traipse down that dark path.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Yes lets mandate expensive new wall requirements because one kid in Ohio did something. We'll make Canada pay for it.

So expensive that every private pool owner in this city can afford them around their entire pools, but evidently large zoos in the US can't afford them across their gorilla habitats.  :huh: I guess it is true about the sad decline of the states ...  :P

If they built high walls, you wouldn't be able to see the gorillas. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2016, 09:19:47 AM

It isn't the height, it's the tech. The fence has to be "non climbable" by young children only; if adults vault over it into the gorilla pit, that's on them.

From the by-law:

QuoteNON-CLIMBABLE - Describes a 1.2-metre vertical face presented to the exterior of a swimming pool enclosure. For an enclosure of chain link construction, means a mesh which is no greater than 38 millimetres square for a minimum of 1.2 metres vertically. For all other enclosures, means that there is no horizontal opening or step greater than 38 millimetres in width for 1.2 metres vertically, or where horizontal components are a minimum of 1.2 metres apart there shall be no opening greater than 100 millimetres.

Height of a "non climbable" fence properly built according to this code: 1.2 meters. Height of existing fence the kid somehow got through or over: 3'. Not exactly an enormous height difference.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Apparently plexiglass has also failed to reach Ohio. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2016, 09:37:19 AM

Apparently plexiglass has also failed to reach Ohio. 

HE NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THAT
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

See now the Canadians, and I consider Malthus the mouthpiece for the entire Canadian nation, are demanding we all invest in expensive wall tech just because of some kid in Ohio. Maybe Ohio should be walled off instead of the rest of us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2016, 09:58:05 AM
See now the Canadians, and I consider Malthus the mouthpiece for the entire Canadian nation, are demanding we all invest in expensive wall tech just because of some kid in Ohio. Maybe Ohio should be walled off instead of the rest of us.

What is it with (North) Americans wanting their respective southern neighbors to pay for walls?  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 01, 2016, 10:26:46 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2016, 09:58:05 AM

What is it with (North) Americans wanting their respective southern neighbors to pay for walls?  :hmm:

It is symbolic of the walls we um...build around our cold New World hearts. We also want free stuff.

CountDeMoney

Unfortunately enclosure design doesn't take every possibility into account.  There is a level of expectation that a parent is going to make sure her useless brat isn't going to scale a barrier, crawl through vegetation and jump into a moat.

San Fransisco Zoo didn't expect any problems from their tiger enclosure, until a tiger had about enough from shitty fucking kids throwing shit at her, and she jumped what was considered an unjumpable barrier, and twisted one of the shit's caps back.

It's bullshit like this that results in lawyers doing lawyer shit, like a future where they counsel zoos to bar kids from entry. NO PERSONS UNDER 18 ALLOWED

Legbiter

Saw also on the Beeb that all these zoos now have kill teams after a Pittsburg mom lifted her 2 year old over a barrier so he could better see the dozen or so African Wild Dogs and promptly dropped the kid into their enclosure. The dogs treated this surprising windfall as a light snack.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

So first there was a big FB backlash against the mother and/or zoo, and now there's equally self-righteous backlash against the backlash.  Hopefully we'll see a backlash against the backlash against the backlash.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2016, 01:15:29 PM
So first there was a big FB backlash against the mother and/or zoo, and now there's equally self-righteous backlash against the backlash.  Hopefully we'll see a backlash against the backlash against the backlash.

Fuck you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Ooh honey you couldn't afford it!  <airsnap>

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2016, 01:23:36 PM
Ooh honey you couldn't afford it!  <airsnap>

Plus, I wouldn't want to catch a social disease from you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.