News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ohio, the heart of it all

Started by Ed Anger, August 04, 2009, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Sad but there were no good outcomes available once the silverback was manhandling the toddler, wondering what to make of it.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 31, 2016, 03:17:14 AM
Any pics of the barriers that the kid climbed over? Haven't been able to find any.

I don't have any pics, but they were sufficient to prevent any breaches for the first 38 years of the exhibit.  Having been there multiple times throughout the years, I can say it would have to take a lot of determination to get in.

Multiple witnesses are saying that the kid repeatedly said he was going to go in and his mother was on the phone until he was too far in to retrieve.  And once he was in, it certainly didn't help things to have the mother and other people in the crowd screaming hysterically. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Lose-lose situation.  If they hadn't shot the gorilla it could have ripped the kid's arms off, and then a different group of people (or maybe even the same group) would be foaming at the mouth.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Yesterday he was four.  Now he's three.  GOD IS AWSOME
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2016, 12:07:59 PM

He was three yesterday as well.  Early reports had his age at four, but those were corrected (as I understand it).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2016, 09:26:01 AM
I don't have any pics, but they were sufficient to prevent any breaches for the first 38 years of the exhibit.  Having been there multiple times throughout the years, I can say it would have to take a lot of determination to get in.

Multiple witnesses are saying that the kid repeatedly said he was going to go in and his mother was on the phone until he was too far in to retrieve.  And once he was in, it certainly didn't help things to have the mother and other people in the crowd screaming hysterically.

Well why the fuck did none of those multiple witnesses intervene then?

Jacob

I mean... sure, mom should have been paying attention. No doubt about it.

But if you're watching a three year old kid proclaim that he's about to climb a barrier into a gorilla pit, and then proceed to do so - for several minutes apparently - and you are close enough to see that the mom is on the phone or whatever, and not cognizant of the kid's actions, what is stopping you from - you know, saying "hey kid, don't do that" and maybe even physically intervening? Or, at a bare minimum, interrupt the lady on the phone with a "hey lady, your kid is crawling into the gorilla pit!"

CountDeMoney

Don't tell me how to raise my child.

derspiess

DON'T YOU LAY HANDS ON MAH KID

I think it's one of those things where maybe you try to turn a blind eye to some other person's kid misbehaving to avoid saying something about the kid's bad behavior.  Anyway, one of the witnesses did try to go after the kid before he got past the point of no return but he was too quick for her.

Malthus

The zoo's barrier couldn't keep out an adventurous three year old?

Pools here have to have better fencing than that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2016, 12:10:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2016, 12:07:59 PM

He was three yesterday as well.  Early reports had his age at four, but those were corrected (as I understand it).

Thanks.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 31, 2016, 03:07:29 PM

The barrier plus moderately attentive parents kept kids out for decades.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2016, 03:12:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 31, 2016, 03:07:29 PM

The barrier plus moderately attentive parents kept kids out for decades.

The fact that an accident never happened before doesn't mean the thing is inherently safe, though. Unless this particular three year old had budding superpowers, the fact that he could get through it is a pretty good indication it wasn't good enough.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius