News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sundering of America

Started by Lettow77, August 03, 2009, 06:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

In the name of Don Carlos Buell and the Army of the Ohio, I hereby claim this thread.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 08:28:19 AM
Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma and to an extremely minor extent Missouri are a fringe that is lost to the South, although it should not be assumed that because of this they are devoid of good Southern men. Potentially any of them could end up in a Southern confederacy, depending on the global situation, in roughly the order listed of probability.

:cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 03, 2009, 08:33:20 AM
Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma and to an extremely minor extent Missouri are a fringe that is lost to the South, although it should not be assumed that because of this they are devoid of good Southern men. Potentially any of them could end up in a Southern confederacy, depending on the global situation, in roughly the order listed of probability.

:cool:

Says the yankee carpetbagger.

Faeelin

edit edit: Also, 'the best parts of the South'- Florida? seriously? Your welcome to the place  :lmfao:

Note how I said best parts of the south, not best parts of the country.

Caliga

Anyway, Lettuce, what do you think the African-American majority, as well as the very large minorities in Alabama, South Carolina, and Georgia, are going to think about your New Confederacy?  Do you think they'll willingly participate?

Lettow77

Yankees -can- be assimilated. I have seen it happen, and have brought at least three into the nationalist movement myself. There is all the more reason to embrace someone who moves here, holds the land in affection and adopts its customs, as they chose it deliberately rather than by accident of birth.

And anyway, I like Caliga.

Edit: Finally, Faeelin, 'make the world tremble?'? I have no interest in that, nor should anyone. Isolationism is where it's at.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

If it pleases you to know, sir, a branch of my German immigrant family crossed the Cumberland Gap circa 1805, settled in Richmond, Kentucky, owned slaves, and sent at least one brave son to fight with the Orphan Brigade.  :cool:

This is something I just discovered a year or so ago when one of my consultants turned out to be a distant relation who was descended from that familial line.

Slargos

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 03, 2009, 07:23:07 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 07:12:48 AM
What somebody does for income and sustenance is work.

Life's work is the overarching objective of one's time here. Serving the South is my magnum opus, and colours many of the decisions I make in life. Next to serving Dixie, raising a family (which in itself is one of the biggest services I can render my country!) is the only thing of similar scope and importance.

As for my -mere- profession, I aim to be a Lawyer, like my father before me.

Speaking of which, as jingoistic and xenophobic as you "Dixie" nuts are, how would you possibly hope to compete with global economies? Even if you guys were successful in breaking off, you'd be beggared in a decade or two because nobody would get involved in trade with you. The South might be great, but it doesn't have everything you need for a fully independent subsistence economy.

Yeah. The Japs are doing horribly.  :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 03, 2009, 08:39:30 AM
If it pleases you to know, sir, a branch of my German immigrant family crossed the Cumberland Gap circa 1805, settled in Richmond, Kentucky, owned slaves, and sent at least one brave son to fight with the Orphan Brigade.  :cool:

This is something I just discovered a year or so ago when one of my consultants turned out to be a distant relation who was descended from that familial line.

Since I'm a story topper, mine flooded out of Tennessee in Grundy County and fought for Granny Lee.

And some stayed and shot at Confederates.  :menace:

Lettow77

As to black Southern reaction to a new Confederacy- react horribly, I am pretty certain. The South could not nor would not continue many social programs that community has grown accustomed to, and the black community of the South would herald the inaugeration of a new confederacy fully expecting horrible racial repression.

Worse, some yahoos are liable to think it means the same thing, and do their damndest to sabotage our country with their behaviour. They'd never become mainstream, but it would 'confirm' black fears.

Edit: One of the strengths we have here is the easy familiarity races have with each other. Blacks and whites have been coexisting down here a long time, and you dont see that same aghast reaction you would up north, say, when the black family moves in the neighbourhood. That northern reaction has been replicated to some degree down here with all the yankee immigrants into white flight enclaves, but it is the exception rather than the rule.

Black fears arent unjustified, unfortunately. I wouldent be suprised if segregation came back, at least temporarily. The backs and whites of the South are polarised, which does me a deal of pain, as it hurts our ambitions greatly. Fortunately, I do not think black resistence would be universal, nor would it overcome independence. You'd probably see a great migration up north, but nothing like war in the streets.

(How Northerners react to said great migration would be fantastic for disarming their inevitable accusations of racism and backwardness. )

Neil

Isolationism isn't the best track for a small country with a small population and no resources to speak of.  Soul-crushing poverty will probably damage the Southern Dream.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Isolationism -promotes- international trade, not prohibit it.

Also, 'no resources to speak of?' You mean, besides all the ones we have?

Faeelin

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 09:18:20 AM

Also, 'no resources to speak of?' You mean, besides all the ones we have?

Coal, cotton fields, and once their economy finishes collapsing, a labor force as cheap as Mexico's!

Lettow77

You sure do like mexico, dont you, Faeelin? Although, the Northern economy is the one collapsing right now.

You left out the many disperate things grown that arent cotton, clay, gold in South Carolina, iron in Alabama, sulfur and such in Lousiana. The South was relatively blessed with resources.

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 09:18:20 AM
No it doesn't.  Besides, you'd have to deal with the trade embargo from the rest of the world.  Even assuming there's no war, people will have the choice to trade with twenty million racist hillbillies, or three hundred million Americans.
QuoteAlso, 'no resources to speak of?' You mean, besides all the ones we have?
Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina and Louisiana.

Alabama does agriculture and manufacturing, which is vulnerable to embargo.  Mississippi's only products are cotton, crushing poverty and dependence on federal aid (from wealthy northern states).  Georgia is probably the most diverse of these five states, but the large agriculture and manufacturing sectors are vulnerable to embargo, and the mineral resources of Georgia are not so unique or valuable that they can't be replaced.  Although Atlanta is something of a corporate hub, all those businesses would flee in order to continue being able to do business in the much larger market that is the US.  South Carolina is pathetically weak, mainly agriculture with some light industry.  Louisiana is similar to Mississippi, but has a larger coastline and the mouth of the river, and a dependence on tourism dollars, which don't exist in an independent South.  Of course, it's rather doubtful that Louisiana would be allowed to go anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.