News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sundering of America

Started by Lettow77, August 03, 2009, 06:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

When I hear the word 'activist', I reach for my Glock.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

To Cerr,

I tried to give this serious thought for your sake.

I dont really hate the north, or rather, I try not to do so. (Unsuccessfully, I guess I should admit.)

As for my abiding affection for the South..well, for one, I am just a nationalist, and love my country as naturally as anyone would. She is attacked frequently and defended rarely, and incorrectly cast as a sort of villain for american history, which leads to a very defensive reaction from me.

The South was in many ways Europe transplanted into a new continent, rather than some proposition nation being forged anew with no ties to the old world. That stability that emphasised land and kin above anything else really speaks to me. Although it was based on the Cavalier's Europe, it was left behind, becoming almost unique in the West. The closest similarities I have found are among the carlists or the Travail, Famille, Patrie of Vichy.

The Southern fighting man, his independent nature, his martial culture and self-reliance have always appealed to me, and in particular the tragedy of his defiance against impossible odds, as well as the WW1 level casualty figures the South took in her struggle, strike a chord with me. Reading about these men, and reading the words of these men, they are of a character than is unblemished by any criticism and unmatched by subsequent (and perhaps previous!) eras. Lee is a saint, and a more admirable and inspiring figure than Christ himself, although he is only one amongst an almost endless pantheon of Southern heroes.

I could say I love the food and the language, but I am sure I have merely become conditioned to love these things because I love the South, not that I love the South because of these purely aesthetic traits. I admire its diverse heritage, the disparate strands that were allowed to settle here, and how they retained so much of an individuality prior to 1860, avoiding the ghettos and americanisation (seemingly at odds with each other) of the north.

Beyond any ideological reasons, or the valour, drama and romance of the Southern fighting man, I was taught to love Dixie. My Grandfather told me stories on the family land, and early on I read about and identified more with the South as she was than the South as she is, and learned gradually to reconcile both and appreciate each.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 03, 2009, 07:23:07 AM
Speaking of which, as jingoistic and xenophobic as you "Dixie" nuts are, how would you possibly hope to compete with global economies? Even if you guys were successful in breaking off, you'd be beggared in a decade or two because nobody would get involved in trade with you. The South might be great, but it doesn't have everything you need for a fully independent subsistence economy.

:yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

Ive actually thought about something like that before. The South could be tarred by the same brush South Africa was, and their embargo really hurt. (Despite producing some nifty military hardware.)

South Africa had a wealth of resources, but -the- South has even more, and our situation is not quite so dire that the world would be -that- hostile to us. A breakaway Southern confederacy would be welcomed into the family of nations.

Maladict

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 03, 2009, 07:16:12 AM

I've got one warming up in the bullpen. Within an hour, I'll send in the reliever.

Preciously few things are more satisfying. A man's legacy might be measured by it.
I was tempted to take a picture to pass on to future generations.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 07:37:56 AM
Ive actually thought about something like that before. The South could be tarred by the same brush South Africa was, and their embargo really hurt. (Despite producing some nifty military hardware.)

South Africa had a wealth of resources, but -the- South has even more, and our situation is not quite so dire that the world would be -that- hostile to us. A breakaway Southern confederacy would be welcomed into the family of nations.

China's a lot more important now than 20 years ago and they trade with countries with ongoing slavery so...

Though I suppose as this thread is an exercise in alt history, you and Banana could construct a scenario where the Southern US secedes today and receives a global embargo.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 07:37:56 AM
I don't think you understand quite how much people dislike a country full of racist religious automatons.

Besides, you could never, ever beat the North.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Dont be silly, neil. The North hasnt been willing to fight any sort of war for at least forty years. The South, farmboys and minorities is what makes up the military. The northern public will reflexively reject almost any war, cringe at the sign of casualties, and reject a war with their former states especially. This isnt 1860.

Not only that, but we have nuclear stockpiles both here and up north. War would be extremely ill-advised.

Finally, assuming it actually came to war, which it never would, the relative strength of north and south has shifted considerably in the South's favour since then 1860. To repeat, though, there would never be a war.

BVN

I've got one warming up in the bullpen. Within an hour, I'll send in the reliever.
Well, has it arrived yet?

Faeelin

What would be really funny is how the best parts of the South would want to stay. The Research Triangle, Virginia, Florida.... but the Alabama-Arkansas Axis will make the world shake, no doubt.

Ed Anger

Quote from: BVN on August 03, 2009, 08:11:19 AM

Well, has it arrived yet?

I sent in Pedro Borbon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Lettuce, let's say a majority of people in the South agreed with you and decided to try to secede... what states do you see joining Dixie?  Fae brings up a good point and I'm curious what your thoughts are.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

What a clusterfuck that would be...dual citizenship, selling off property at a fire sale, etc. etc.

Lettow77

Well, the idea of NC staying in the union because of cary and all the yankee settlement is laughable.. for now :cry:

Virginia is for the most part lost to us, although Richmonders are still fairly prideful, and the folk below it are culturally Southern. Florida is much the same, except northern florida being the loyalist segment. (And, on that note, wiregrass Florida is one of the more unsavoury parts of the South, even if they are on our side. Oh well. )

Initially, I see the 20th century's confederacy as a five state union. It would be around on par with Australia in terms of population and economy. If it needed to be stated, it would consist of Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina and Louisiana.

States that could potentially secede later would be North Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas. Ideally Northern Florida, stylised seminole, would secede, but this is impractical.

Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma and to an extremely minor extent Missouri are a fringe that is lost to the South, although it should not be assumed that because of this they are devoid of good Southern men. Potentially any of them could end up in a Southern confederacy, depending on the global situation, in roughly the order listed of probability.

Edit: Although to be honest, I would be perfectly happy, ebulliant infact, with merely South Carolina seceding. A homeland for Southerners is what I chiefly wish for, not neccisarily an enormous one are all that we are properly entitled to.

edit edit: Also, 'the best parts of the South'- Florida? seriously? Your welcome to the place  :lmfao:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive