News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Total War, Again

Started by Faeelin, March 10, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Scipio on June 27, 2009, 09:48:45 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on June 27, 2009, 12:12:17 PM
So, is this game any good yet?
It beats a shit sandwich.
High praise indeed from a Russian.  :P
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 27, 2009, 03:30:53 PM

What was the problem?  What was it doing?

Units completely ignoring what I told them and doing wacky things. Like forming up in to single file lines...with only 1 soldier facing the enemy at a time.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I had that happening prior to the latest patch, but I haven't yet seen it since.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2009, 08:24:24 AM
Units completely ignoring what I told them and doing wacky things. Like forming up in to single file lines...with only 1 soldier facing the enemy at a time.

Quote from: CaligaI had that happening prior to the latest patch, but I haven't yet seen it since.

Damn that sucks.  Did/does it do it all the time, or is it only on certain map types?  I know buildings and really any sort of little...things...on the landscape can potentially screw everything up.

Josquius

Yeah, much of it was to do with buildings. My troops on some walls particularly pissed me off. They just stood there and died despite me repeatedly telling them to get the hell off the walls.
The cavalry on the ground were doing it too. Perhaps the walls confused them though.

Sadly though taking/defending forts and cities is where most battles take place.
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2009, 03:31:23 PM
Yeah, much of it was to do with buildings. My troops on some walls particularly pissed me off. They just stood there and died despite me repeatedly telling them to get the hell off the walls.
The cavalry on the ground were doing it too. Perhaps the walls confused them though.

Sadly though taking/defending forts and cities is where most battles take place.

Yeah, sieges with walled cities/forts are still all fucked up.  It's gamey and lame, but the "best" way to defend (and the quickest way to get it over with) if you want to play a siege battle is to just position your guys around the center circle there.  The attackers will just run to the middle and stand there, giving you easy kills.  :bleeding: 

Interestingly enough, I've had some pretty fun fights in cities without walls.  There's no flag circle thing that grabs the AI's attention like a shiny penny, so instead it comes after your troops.   :)  You just have to be really careful when moving your units around, since, as you know, buildings can ruin everything.  When you're attacking, the AI will both occupy buildings and send troops out to attack you with no walls to get in their way.

Edit:  It's still an AI, so you're always going to be better than it, but at least it's better than the fort thing where they either run to the middle (when attacking) or crowd up in a corner or something (when defending).  There also aren't any walls for your little retarded pixelated troops to get stuck on/do anything stupid on.

Caliga

The smoke and blood mod + drum and fife mod make this game OSSUM.

Marching my redcoats to the tune of "The British Grenadiers"  to mow down Frenchmen = WIN.

Viking

Any of the mods deal with AI tactical blobbing that turns every single battle I fight into a Cannae.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Dunno, the mods I installed purely alter the graphics/sound.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on July 18, 2009, 07:40:12 PM
Dunno, the mods I installed purely alter the graphics/sound.

Gameplay 10/10, graphics/sound 2/10

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

viper37

Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2009, 07:38:29 PM
Any of the mods deal with AI tactical blobbing that turns every single battle I fight into a Cannae.
Darthmod.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246153
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on July 18, 2009, 07:41:27 PM
:unsure:

I care for gameplay 10/10 and care about sound/graphics 2/10

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on July 18, 2009, 08:20:10 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2009, 07:38:29 PM
Darthmod.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246153

Any big change since 1.9?