The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

I know they aren't the most popular around here, but I almost only see English language films mentioned, when there are bucketloads of non English language war films that should be considered.

Just amongst Italian films, you have "Rome, Open City", "The Great War" and "Mediterraneo".

Also, does there have to be military action to be considered a war film? Is a film set in wartime, or in a war scenario, but without explosions, a war film?

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2009, 10:45:22 PM
Amen.  2nd prize goes to Midway, whose battle scenes weren't even made for the movie but pulled from Tora! Tora! Tora!, for God's sake.  At least Patton's scenes were made for the film.
Midway. Ouch, back when I was a kid amongst my christmas present one year I got a two video set  of that and Tobruk (which I remember being alright).
Midway is just...horrid. Even for a Pacific War film (I've yet to see a good one).

One omission from the list I noticed: Battle of Britain. Now that was a awesome film.
██████
██████
██████

saskganesh

a very narrow definition: how about "movies set in the 20th century that include scenes of  soldiers fighting?"

this outs Glory, Zulu, Schindler, Great Escape, Wannasee Conference and many others.
humans were created in their own image

Josephus

Why limit it to 20th century wars, though? Glory was pretty good and had some excellent battle scenes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on July 30, 2009, 08:17:54 AM
It's a tough call on Schindler's List; but really it's a film that takes place during the war about something that wouldn't have happened had it not been for the war.

No it isn't, it is an easy call. It is not a war movie since it is not a movie about war, but about the Holocaust. It isn't a war movie any more than Casablanca is a war movie.

I watched Glory the other night on Netflix, since it is on the watch instantly list. It really is quite good, if over the top cheesy at times. And Denzel Washingtons character was just plain ridiculous.

Trip: I ain't fightin' this war for you, sir.
Colonel Robert G. Shaw: I see.
Trip: I mean, what's the point? Ain't nobody gonna win. It's just gonna go on and on.
Colonel Robert G. Shaw: Can't go on forever.
Trip: Yeah, but ain't nobody gonna win, sir.
Colonel Robert G. Shaw: Somebody's gonna win.
Trip: Who? I mean, you get to go on back to Boston, big house and all that. What about us? What do we get?
Colonel Robert G. Shaw: Well, you won't get anything if we lose.

I mean really - stuff like this makes me lose sympathy for the character.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

saskganesh

Quote from: Josephus on July 30, 2009, 09:37:48 AM
Why limit it to 20th century wars, though? Glory was pretty good and had some excellent battle scenes.

simply because most war movies are set in the 20th century. it seems to me the zulus etc are out of place.

saskganesh

Glory has good battle scenes, but I found the dialoque and acting not so good. I agree with Berkut about the cheese. I think it sinks the movie as a drama, others probably do not care.

saskganesh

if we are not just 20th century, how about Bondarchuk's War and Peace?

look at Borodino. biggest cast of extras (120,000!) and horses for a "war" movie ever

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 10:08:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 09:43:51 PM
Patton.

Still has the worst battle scenes ever filmed.
Nope.  That honor goes to Battle of the Bulge.
Yes.  The SS Panzer commander dying in the final battle by a rolling barrel of oil is not the kind of pay off most of us were looking for.  Although I like the idea of SS Nazis being humiliated as they die, its not what you are looking for in a war movie.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: saskganesh on July 30, 2009, 10:34:17 AM
Glory has good battle scenes, but I found the dialoque and acting not so good. I agree with Berkut about the cheese. I think it sinks the movie as a drama, others probably do not care.

:huh:

"Stripes on a nigger!?  That's like tits on a bull!"
*wipes away a tear* Classic.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on July 30, 2009, 09:07:43 AM
a very narrow definition: how about "movies set in the 20th century that include scenes of  soldiers fighting?"

this outs Glory, Zulu, Schindler, Great Escape, Wannasee Conference and many others.

I think Zulu is one of the all time greats.

A movie that would probably make my top 10 that may not have been mentioned (I haven't read the whole thread) was Master and Commander. Maybe a bit slow in parts and silly in others, but a great depiction of day to day life in the british navy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on July 30, 2009, 11:20:48 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on July 30, 2009, 10:34:17 AM

:huh:

"Stripes on a nigger!?  That's like tits on a bull!"
*wipes away a tear* Classic.

Yeah, I would say there was a rather odd mix of really great dialogue

"You are pretty good with that Private!"
"Yes suh!"
"Reload."
"Teach them PROPERLY Mr. Forbes!"

and some stuff that is just...well, kind of silly. The entire conversation with Trip and the Colonel. And the Colonels bit about how there is more to fighting than rest...WTF? Why would any commander put the worn out and tired unit into the attack if he had fresh ones? Just because the commander asked?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Well... I dunno how accurate the movie is, but IIRC the soldiers of 54th really did refuse to accept their pay because it was lower than that of 'regular' regiments, as depicted in the film.

One thing I think is different is that the movie implies that the regiment was wiped out at the Battle of Ft. Wagner, but I think that's an exaggeration.  It saw action later at Olustee, Florida... unlikely to have been the case if nobody survived the earlier battle in Charleston Harbor. -_-

PDH

Apparantly, Shaw was kind of like that though - a walking idealist at times filled with cheesey notions.  He came from such stock too, his father said about the mass burial:
QuoteWe would not have his body removed from where it lies surrounded by his brave and devoted soldiers....We can imagine no holier place than that in which he lies, among his brave and devoted followers, nor wish for him better company – what a body-guard he has!

edit - he did indeed lead the boycott for pay, and some of his lines do come from the letters he wrote...I suspect he may have been really cheesey to know...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 09:43:51 PM
Patton.

Still has the worst battle scenes ever filmed.
Ok, I've forgotten about Glory... with this comment YOU HAVE ANGERED ME SEVERELY.  :mad: