The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 08:11:17 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 29, 2009, 06:05:55 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 29, 2009, 06:04:42 PM
So, infinite loop?
No.  You will know when the time comes to not repeat.
Exactly.  At some point you run out of viable contenders.  There's already 10-15 movies on that list that will never be budged.
I count 6 unbudgables:

20. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) / Lewis Milestone
18. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) / David Lean
15. The Great Escape (1963) / John Sturges
14. Zulu (1964) / Cy Enfield
8. Full Metal Jacket (1987) / Stanley Kubrick
5. Saving Private Ryan (1998) / Steven Spielberg
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 08:15:05 PM
I count 6 unbudgables:

Apocalypse Now for sure.  But generally you're right.

Shall we give it a go?  Elaborated rules: like "Who's Hotter" first one to 7 yes votes wins. (Exact number can be amended.)  After a change in the list copy and paste amended list, someone else gets to propose a nominee. 

I'll start.  I nominate A Bridge Too Far to replace Pearl Harbor.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 08:26:15 PM
Shall we give it a go?  Elaborated rules: like "Who's Hotter" first one to 7 yes votes wins. (Exact number can be amended.)  After a change in the list copy and paste amended list, someone else gets to propose a nominee. 

I enjoyed ABtF but recognize that it was more a great series of vignettes than a movie.  But the competition is so weak that I will vote aye.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Are films that get voted down eligible for re-nomination? What about films that survive challenges, are they immune to further challenges? If not, people could sabotage the list. If so, the process could go on indefinitely. :mellow:

I'll agree with Bridge Too Far over Pearl Harbor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 08:26:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 08:15:05 PM
I count 6 unbudgables:

Apocalypse Now for sure.  But generally you're right.

Obviously, I'll vote for A Bridge Too Far.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 29, 2009, 08:46:01 PM
Are films that get voted down eligible for re-nomination? What about films that survive challenges, are they immune to further challenges? If not, people could sabotage the list. If so, the process could go on indefinitely. :mellow:

I'll agree with Bridge Too Far over Pearl Harbor.
I think no movie is permanently added or removed.  People could dick with the list, but they would be ignored (trying to replace Zulu with Das Boot, for instance, would not get a vote from me either way).  The first thing to do is pick off the easy prey, like Pearl Harbor.

Bayraktar!

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

I'd like to move that Schindler's List be disqualified.

Sophie Scholl

http://www.moviefone.com/insidemovies/2007/03/07/best-war-movies/
A slightly better starting list maybe.  Take a look.  Still needs some work though.

I think they nailed #1.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 29, 2009, 08:46:01 PM
You can renominate a loser.  You can rechallenge a challengee.  To cut down on the spammery let's say the same poster can't nominate the same contender vs. same contender twice. 

Sure, it's an open ended process.

2 more votes and Pearl is booted.

katmai

Gimmie Hopkins, Gould, Caan, Redford, Connery, Bogarde, Hackman, Olivier,Caine, Fox & Schell over Harnett and Affleck, and Beckinsale
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on July 29, 2009, 09:05:22 PM
Gimmie Hopkins, Gould, Caan, Redford, Connery, Bogarde, Hackman, Olivier,Caine, Fox & Schell over Harnett and Affleck, and Beckinsale

I'll take Beckinsale over all the rest of those.  :lol: