The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Now Sink the Bismarck, now there was a war movie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 10:08:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 09:43:51 PM
Patton.

Still has the worst battle scenes ever filmed.
Nope.  That honor goes to Battle of the Bulge.

Amen.  2nd prize goes to Midway, whose battle scenes weren't even made for the movie but pulled from Tora! Tora! Tora!, for God's sake.  At least Patton's scenes were made for the film.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2009, 10:45:22 PM
Amen.  2nd prize goes to Midway, whose battle scenes weren't even made for the movie but pulled from Tora! Tora! Tora!, for God's sake.  At least Patton's scenes were made for the film.
The battle scenes are way, way down on the list of things wrong with that movie!  Only Henry Fonda's portrayal of Nimitz didn't suck.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 11:07:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2009, 10:45:22 PM
The battle scenes are way, way down on the list of things wrong with that movie!  Only Henry Fonda's portrayal of Nimitz didn't suck.

What, you didn't enjoy the subplot with Chuckles Heston and his future slope daughter-in-law?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2009, 10:43:24 PM
Apocalypse Now is an allegory, not a war flick.  War just happened to be the vehicle.

Agree.  Good film, but not in a "War film".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

Quote from: Siege on July 29, 2009, 06:29:51 PM
I don't remember any movie by that name.

It must be one of those cheap direct-to-DVD movies.

Those ussually suck.
http://www.hbo.com/generationkill/

Generation Kill is a 7 part HBO mini-series detailing a group of Marines from the initial invasion of Iraq to the capture of Baghdad. It's of fairly high quality.

katmai

Quote from: Fate on July 30, 2009, 03:21:54 AM

http://www.hbo.com/generationkill/

Generation Kill is a 7 part HBO mini-series detailing a group of Marines from the initial invasion of Iraq to the capture of Baghdad. It's of fairly high quality.

It didn't air on Disney channel so Seige would never have heard of it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: Armyknife on July 29, 2009, 10:24:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 10:08:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 09:43:51 PM
Patton.

Still has the worst battle scenes ever filmed.
Nope.  That honor goes to Battle of the Bulge.

Didn't the M47s in both of those films see more 'action' than the tanks did in real life ?

I dunno, the M47 saw alot of action in the middle east and in the Pakistan-Indian war.  I think they saw some action in Korea.   Also against Godzilla.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Though I haven't seen Jarhead, I'll go with Patton to keep this thing moving(was 6-0 by my count). I'll put up Glory against Schindler's List. Mainly because Schindler isn't a war movie(and if we counted all the great movies about the periphery of wartime, the list would look completely different).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

What about The Battle of Algiers?  Banned in France.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 30, 2009, 04:13:03 AM
Though I haven't seen Jarhead, I'll go with Patton to keep this thing moving(was 6-0 by my count). I'll put up Glory against Schindler's List. Mainly because Schindler isn't a war movie(and if we counted all the great movies about the periphery of wartime, the list would look completely different).
Agreed, and +1 for Glory.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

If you need another one, I'm in. Patton over Jarhead
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Alatriste

Null vote. I haven't watched Jarhead, I will add it to my to-watch list, and can't decide between Schindler's List and Glory, both are great - and IMHO Schindler's List is a war movie... otherwise The Great Escape isn't a war movie, for example.

Neil

Quote from: Alatriste on July 30, 2009, 07:29:19 AM
Null vote. I haven't watched Jarhead, I will add it to my to-watch list, and can't decide between Schindler's List and Glory, both are great - and IMHO Schindler's List is a war movie... otherwise The Great Escape isn't a war movie, for example.
A story about POWs escaping from prison camp isn't quite the same as a story about a German guy nonviolently helping Jews escape the Holocaust through deception and bribery.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

It's a tough call on Schindler's List; but really it's a film that takes place during the war about something that wouldn't have happened had it not been for the war. But is it a war movie? Is http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094331/ Wish You Were Here a war movie? Is Life Is Beautiful a War Movie?

The Great Escape is interesting for the purpose of this discussion. It's about soldiers. It's about prisoners of War. Is it a war film? Good question.

Maybe we need to come up with a definition first. I know we have a few lawyers here.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011