The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 28, 2009, 12:43:26 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 28, 2009, 12:35:40 AM
Bullshit.

You just are afraid of the social stygma from recognizing that you like a nice good movie.

You don;t have to like stupid violent movies to be a man.

Yes, I'm obviously afraid of social stigma on Languish, that's why I created the persona of a an antisocial slacker who lives with Mama. :unsure:

Most of my all-time favorites have some amount of violence in them. Indiana Jones, The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Bond movies, Star Wars, etc. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a romantic comedy or drama every once in a while. :mellow:

Ok, say it with me:

I LOVE CHICK FLICKS!!!!!111

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

YES I DO!!!!!!1111

Now, repeat after me:

I, Peter Wiggin, love chick flicks, and I am not afraid of the consequences of recognizing so.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 28, 2009, 01:06:11 AM
YES I DO!!!!!!1111

Now, repeat after me:

I, Peter Wiggin, love chick flicks, and I am not afraid of the consequences of recognizing so.

There are a few I "love" but as a whole the romantic comedy and romantic drama genres are low on my list.

Siege

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 28, 2009, 01:20:52 AM
Pussy.

I'll admit to watching teenybopper movies occasionally as well. I recently saw Harry Potter 5 and the message sank in. I must not tell lies.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2009, 10:01:31 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 05:35:32 PM
Where's my Thin Red Line?
Maybe whoever made the list wasn't tripping the light fantastic when he was watching it.  Otherwise, it's a bit disjointed.

"Woah, there's grass blowing, waves crashing, yeah...  And then Nick Nolte shouting at some soldiers.  Woah."

You and Fireblade can smoke a jumbo and watch the movie together.

This coming from the guy that cries during Forever Young.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 28, 2009, 04:58:11 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2009, 10:01:31 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 05:35:32 PM
Where's my Thin Red Line?
Maybe whoever made the list wasn't tripping the light fantastic when he was watching it.  Otherwise, it's a bit disjointed.

"Woah, there's grass blowing, waves crashing, yeah...  And then Nick Nolte shouting at some soldiers.  Woah."

You and Fireblade can smoke a jumbo and watch the movie together.

This coming from the guy that cries during Forever Young.
I've never even seen that movie.  You must be thinking of someone else.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Alatriste

We could make a Languish list of great war movies.

I was thinking of assigning up to 5 votes per Languishite and up to 5 negative votes, i.e. war movies we absolutely hate. What do you think?

Sophie Scholl

Sounds like a way to get a much better list.  Though I'm sure there will be much flip-flopping and changing of votes as people mention movies that others have forgotten.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Sounds good.

I'll provisionally go with:
The Great Escape
Glory
Full Metal Jacket
Patton

Alatriste

I don't think flip-flopping and changing would be a problem. We stablish a finish date and let everyone edit his post as much as he likes...

Oh, another question. Do we divide periods, for example pre XX century, colonial & Great War, Second World War, and 1945 to the present, or that would be going too far?

Tonitrus

Sophie Scholl

Hmm... Tough call.  Some of those would be too broad, some would be too narrow.  Maybe just a general one size fits all category?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Anyone seen that Koren movie about the Korean War; Brotherhood I believe it was called?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.