The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Armyknife on July 27, 2009, 08:00:05 PM
Widening the category out somewhat, I think 'Lord of War' is in someways a pretty accurate portrayal of what that now passes for 'war' in much of the world.

The first 10 minutes of Blood Diamond.  Chopping off hands and shit.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 05:35:32 PM
Where's my Thin Red Line?
Maybe whoever made the list wasn't tripping the light fantastic when he was watching it.  Otherwise, it's a bit disjointed.

"Woah, there's grass blowing, waves crashing, yeah...  And then Nick Nolte shouting at some soldiers.  Woah."

You and Fireblade can smoke a jumbo and watch the movie together.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Armyknife on July 27, 2009, 08:00:05 PM
Widening the category out somewhat, I think 'Lord of War' is in someways a pretty accurate portrayal of what that now passes for 'war' in much of the world.
Lord of War is a great fucking movie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2009, 10:01:31 PM

"Woah, there's grass blowing, waves crashing, yeah...  And then Nick Nolte shouting at some soldiers.  Woah."

:lmfao: Best review I seen
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 05:58:27 PM
Yes.  Best Civil War movie in years, better than Gettysburg, which was merely a reenctor's whackfest.

QuoteYou know whats going to happen here in the morning? The whole damn reb army is going to be here. They'll move through this town, occupy these hills on the other side and when our people get here Lee will have the high ground. There will be the devil to pay! The high ground! Meade will come in slowly, cautiously. New to command. They'll be on his back in Washington. Wire hot with messages 'Attack! Attack!'. So he will set up a ring around these hills. And when Lee's army is nicely entrenched behind fat rocks on the high ground, Meade will finally attack, if he can coordinate the army. Straight up the hillside, out in the open, in that gorgeous field of fire. We will charge valiantly... and be butchered valiantly! And afterwards men in tall hats and gold watch fobs will thump their chest and say what a brave charge it was.

Oh but what an awesome whackfest it was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

No love for Flags of our Fathers or Letters from Iwo Jima eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

I don't like war movies.

I liked High School Musical, Aquamarine, Escape to Witch Mountain, Appleseed, Ghost in the shell, the bridge to Therabitgia, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Hill, Terminator, She is the One, Rome, Most kurosawa's movies, Sidney White, etc.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 27, 2009, 11:53:09 PM
I don't like war movies.

I liked High School Musical, Aquamarine, Escape to Witch Mountain, Appleseed, Ghost in the shell, the bridge to Therabitgia, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Hill, Terminator, She is the One, Rome, Most kurosawa's movies, Sidney White, etc.

Ahem... it's Terabithia, Waverly Place and She's the One. :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 28, 2009, 12:04:32 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 27, 2009, 11:53:09 PM
I don't like war movies.

Ahem... it's Terabithia, Waverly Place and She's the One. :blush:

I see you have the same good taste I have...

Siege

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 28, 2009, 12:12:51 AM

Recognizing the names doesn't mean I'd put them in a list of personal favorites. /shrug

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 28, 2009, 12:32:05 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 28, 2009, 12:12:51 AM

Recognizing the names doesn't mean I'd put them in a list of personal favorites. /shrug

Bullshit.

You just are afraid of the social stygma from recognizing that you like a nice good movie.

You don;t have to like stupid violent movies to be a man.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 28, 2009, 12:35:40 AM
Bullshit.

You just are afraid of the social stygma from recognizing that you like a nice good movie.

You don;t have to like stupid violent movies to be a man.

Yes, I'm obviously afraid of social stigma on Languish, that's why I created the persona of a an antisocial slacker who lives with Mama. :unsure:

Most of my all-time favorites have some amount of violence in them. Indiana Jones, The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Bond movies, Star Wars, etc. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a romantic comedy or drama every once in a while. :mellow: