News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

My pet peeve are all the "you need to be wealthy to actually play this" sports, like most of the boat stuff.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on July 29, 2024, 09:07:25 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2024, 09:01:09 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2024, 06:59:44 PMJust found out breakdancing is an Olympics sport now  :lmfao:

That actually makes more sense than something like pistol shooting.

I find your anti-Americanism disturbing.

Ironically we aren't that great at shooting events.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Quote from: celedhring on July 29, 2024, 05:25:36 PMMy pet peeve are all the "you need to be wealthy to actually play this" sports, like most of the boat stuff.

We scored medals with our king in the sailing competitions in 1968.  :uffda:  :yeah:
Sailing was pretty much an obligatory thing to learn in Norway. Even I from the inland had to endure sailing school.
"So we don't have motor boats anymore?". Right.

I think the Olympics are boring. Pure and simple.

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on July 29, 2024, 05:25:36 PMMy pet peeve are all the "you need to be wealthy to actually play this" sports, like most of the boat stuff.

You do not need to be wealthy to be a windsurfer or race any of the dinghies or skiffs in the olympics (49ers, 470s, Nacras etc).

It'll cost me around CDN$600/year to race several of those by joining a local club, plus maybe spend CDN$300-$400 on gear as a one time cost.

I mean, yeah if you're going to regattas all the time across the continent and training intensely then it's a commitment that requires time (and therefore money), but sailing those types of boats is actually pretty accessible if you're interested (at least in the places I'm familiar with). You don't have to own the boats to race them, and most people don't.

HVC

That disqualifies like half the events :lol: ain't cheap having a kid with Olympic ambitions.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2024, 06:10:22 PM

We scored medals with our king in the sailing competitions in 1968.  :uffda:  :yeah:
Sailing was pretty much an obligatory thing to learn in Norway. Even I from the inland had to endure sailing school.
"So we don't have motor boats anymore?". Right.

I think the Olympics are boring. Pure and simple.

I love the Olympics, but then I love all sports.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Was watching a bit of the women's basketball Germany v Belgium game yesterday on the German channel. The female commentator was, I think, a former athlete and did good play by play with some background info. Her male counterpart was explaining the basics of basketball like you would to a child. I mean, I guess it makes sense to go a bit more basic for the Olympics where you'll have people not familiar with some sports tune in. But when he explains how the sport was invented in Canada with peach crates, or what a three-pointer is, or how free throws work and hyping up, "Oh, it's so far from the basket, imagine being [insert random distance example] away and having to hit this small target!" I mean ... come on. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

You'd think basketball in Germany would be known enough not to need this. I wonder if they do it for football. Or the 100 metres.
"When you hear the gun the men all have to run very very fast for about the length of 55 VW beatles."
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on July 30, 2024, 12:44:48 AMYou'd think basketball in Germany would be known enough not to need this. I wonder if they do it for football. Or the 100 metres.
"When you hear the gun the men all have to run very very fast for about the length of 55 VW beatles."

That's what surprised me. Basketball is not exactly an exotic sport in Germany. It's different if you were to explain, say, the scoring system in Judo or something.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2024, 12:40:24 AMWas watching a bit of the women's basketball Germany v Belgium game yesterday on the German channel. The female commentator was, I think, a former athlete and did good play by play with some background info. Her male counterpart was explaining the basics of basketball like you would to a child. I mean, I guess it makes sense to go a bit more basic for the Olympics where you'll have people not familiar with some sports tune in. But when he explains how the sport was invented in Canada with peach crates, or what a three-pointer is, or how free throws work and hyping up, "Oh, it's so far from the basket, imagine being [insert random distance example] away and having to hit this small target!" I mean ... come on. :lol:

By invented in Canada do you mean in Massachusetts by a Canadian? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2024, 02:35:26 AMWell, the guy said "in Canada." -_-

I've been to the basketball hall of fame in Springfield, Mass more times than I can care to count. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

You cannot see attachments on this board.

It turns out his first name....

Julius.

Those parents didn't cower from the unfortunate surname. They had ambition.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2024, 12:55:26 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 30, 2024, 12:44:48 AMYou'd think basketball in Germany would be known enough not to need this. I wonder if they do it for football. Or the 100 metres.

That's what surprised me. Basketball is not exactly an exotic sport in Germany. It's different if you were to explain, say, the scoring system in Judo or something.

Then don't go to the stadia for the Olympic football tournament.
Before the game starts, they explain the basics in very simple words as if somebody had never played or seen football.  :P