News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2024, 06:58:23 PMI don't think they intended to insult anyone. It is just very hard to do anything in the age of social media and not have a reaction of outrage from somebody.

I mean it was very poor foresight if they didn't see it coming.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2024, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2024, 06:58:23 PMI don't think they intended to insult anyone. It is just very hard to do anything in the age of social media and not have a reaction of outrage from somebody.

Disagree. You have to be a pretty oversensitive freak to find it offensive. That was an awesome show.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2024, 07:24:26 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2024, 07:00:21 PM

Disagree. You have to be a pretty oversensitive freak to find it offensive. That was an awesome show.

A drag rif on Jesus and his disciples was bound to piss off Christians. How is that not foreseeable? I mean more power to the producer guy. Art should illicit a reaction, positive or negative :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Tamas

Still though when dissing religions (of which I am a big fan of) the organisers should ask themselves: "would I dare do this with Islam?" if the answer to that is no, then maybe don't do it to others either.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2024, 06:59:44 PMJust found out breakdancing is an Olympics sport now  :lmfao:

30 years too late.  :mad:

HVC

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 28, 2024, 07:52:37 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2024, 06:59:44 PMJust found out breakdancing is an Olympics sport now  :lmfao:

30 years too late.  :mad:

I mean it's no sillier than synchronized swimming. Though to be fair I'd snort if I was alive when that was first brought in too.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

KD and Lebron looked amazing.

Jokic did too, but he had no help whatsoever.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2024, 07:51:51 PMStill though when dissing religions (of which I am a big fan of) the organisers should ask themselves: "would I dare do this with Islam?" if the answer to that is no, then maybe don't do it to others either.

They played Imagine. "No religion" is incompatible with Islam.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2024, 07:51:51 PMStill though when dissing religions (of which I am a big fan of) the organisers should ask themselves: "would I dare do this with Islam?" if the answer to that is no, then maybe don't do it to others either.

Why not? Does Islam define what we should dis?

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on July 29, 2024, 03:58:50 AM

Because if Islam isn't getting mocked out of fear of looking racist and being beheaded for your troubles but other religions do get mocked, ultimately that creates / has created an environment where the only true religion in the old (and bad) sense of being protected by taboos (ie being sacred), is Islam.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2024, 04:09:58 AM

Because if Islam isn't getting mocked out of fear of looking racist and being beheaded for your troubles but other religions do get mocked, ultimately that creates / has created an environment where the only true religion in the old (and bad) sense of being protected by taboos (ie being sacred), is Islam.

Is it better to kowtow to all religions instead of only some religions?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2024, 04:09:58 AM

:wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

I didn't get any Last Supper vibes from that scene. After rewatching, I still don't. It's clearly a Dionysian banquet which, other than having people at a table, looks nothing like Da Vinci's composition.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2024, 03:41:14 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2024, 03:19:23 PMI saw that the surfing competitions are being held not in Paris exactly (which makes sense) ... but French Polynesia :lol:

"Fuck those guys, we want them as far from the Games as possible!"

Better waves, darling.

The Atlantic around Lacanau (not far from Bordeaux), not the Med obviously, would have been fine as well. Political gesture for French Polynesia, I would say.