News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2024, 10:05:39 AMNo we are not the only country that really cares. Sure Basketball may not be the most popular sport in most countries...but it isn't the most popular sport in America either.

But you know what country Basketball is the most popular sport? China. I hear that is another country besides the United States that exists.

Chinese people like the NBA. Their domestic basketball setup doesn't seem to be producing too many stars. They didn't get anywhere at the Olympics.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

For whatever reason China seems to seriously underperform in team sports.

Josquius

The paralympics is on.
Anyone bothered?
Much coverage round your way?

Caught myself thinking it's pretty grim but I imagine due to obvious reasons of a fresh supply of a lot of disabled fit young men Ukraine are doing pretty well.
Checking up... 11th in the "official" table but joint third in number of medals.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah always watch the Paralympics - and Channel 4 are doing really well this year.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

People I know who watched and bought tickets for the Olympics are also caring for the Paralympics. Mind you, they mostly live in Paris so might as well have a look it, with all the transportation network disturbances.

Jacob

I pay about the same amount af attention - which is to say, I mostly ignore it, but enjoy the occasional feel-good story when it bubbles up.

Josquius

Sooo.... Those swimmers with no arms doing the back stroke.
So I see wrong or do they absolutely smash their heads into the wall at the end....

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

This is sweet.  Female Belgian shot putter/hammer thrower subs in to save hurdle team from disqualification.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 05, 2024, 09:39:25 PM

This is sweet.  Female Belgian shot putter/hammer thrower subs in to save hurdle team from disqualification.

That's from a while ago iirc

Josquius

Yeah, I remember when that happened.
I like that she runs like she's wearing heels and trying to get out of the rain.

Have to say though, surely its hard to find a less appropriate athlete for the hurdles than a shot putter? Wonder if it was a bit of a joke.
██████
██████
██████