News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The direction in German foreign policy towards Russia since 2022 has been a lot more reassuring than the direction of the GOP foreign policy thinking in the US over the same time period.

At least unless MDGA NSDAP - sorry I mean AfD takes over and sells the whole country out to Moscow.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

It's rich for Otto to say that western European countries are not doing enough against Russia when his own candidate is sucking Putin's dick.

frunk

Quote from: Solmyr on October 08, 2024, 12:07:52 PMIt's rich for Otto to say that western European countries are not doing enough against Russia when his own candidate is sucking Putin's dick.

And his party delayed critical Ukrainian aid for 8 months for....reasons.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: frunk on October 08, 2024, 06:17:38 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 08, 2024, 12:07:52 PMIt's rich for Otto to say that western European countries are not doing enough against Russia when his own candidate is sucking Putin's dick.

They also looked in Putin's eyes and saw something that apparently wasn't bad around 2001

Josquius

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

Scroll down to "Government support to Ukraine: By donor country GDP" and the US isn't even in the top 10 20....

Consider too much of this US aid isn't new spending but rather goods being released from its extensive stockpiles.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

It's good that Israel is the good guy.  I'd hate to see the bad guy here.
https://x.com/RamAbdu/status/1837483041360695761
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

And here I thought Israel is a country. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Threviel

Quote from: viper37 on October 09, 2024, 06:55:50 AMIt's good that Israel is the good guy.  I'd hate to see the bad guy here.
https://x.com/RamAbdu/status/1837483041360695761

Just look at what happened that kicked off all of this, the October 7th attack. That's the bad guys.

Compared to them and their ilk the Israelis has to do a whole lot worse in order for them to be seen as anything else than the good guys.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on October 09, 2024, 05:29:55 AMhttps://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

Scroll down to "Government support to Ukraine: By donor country GDP" and the US isn't even in the top 10 20....

Consider too much of this US aid isn't new spending but rather goods being released from its extensive stockpiles.
What an odd way to frame this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

You're so fucking stupid if you're going to bitch about American contributions to Ukraine. We are the only reason they have been able to resist at all, I'm sorry our GDP is vastly bigger than most of the other bitch countries in the West, but that's your fault for having small and weak fuck countries. We have given more money to Ukraine than most countries spend on their entire military in 5 years time.

Grey Fox

Yes, thank you USA. No thanks to you OVB, traitor.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 09, 2024, 12:43:06 AM

They also looked in Putin's eyes and saw something that apparently wasn't bad around 2001

OK, so GWB's assessment of Putin in 2001 is hilariously bad in hindsight.  Absolutely no doubt about that.

The thing is - A: hindsight is 20/20, as they say.  Trusting in Putin wasn't necessarily so stupid back in 2001.  The USSR had collapsed less than 10 years earlier.  Yeltsin had been - okay - as a partner but obviously had his own personal foibles (glug, glug) but the idea that Putin might be a someone the west could work with wasn't crazy.  Remember Russia actually did a lot to help in the aftermath of 9/11, in particualr in Afghanistan which he might have otherwise considered to be in Russia's "sphere of influence".

B: there's such a total disconnect between Bush's GOP and Trump's GOP I don't think any comparison between the two is fair.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2024, 10:24:41 AMThe thing is - A: hindsight is 20/20, as they say.  Trusting in Putin wasn't necessarily so stupid back in 2001.

Dude. I mean people gave Dubya shit for it at the time for a reason.

QuoteYeltsin had been - okay - as a partner but obviously had his own personal foibles (glug, glug) but the idea that Putin might be a someone the west could work with wasn't crazy.  Remember Russia actually did a lot to help in the aftermath of 9/11, in particualr in Afghanistan which he might have otherwise considered to be in Russia's "sphere of influence".

I mean things were better but it was pretty clear by Putin's rhetoric and actions that he was taking Russia in a dangerous authoritarian direction. Granted things turned out far worse than we thought.

As for Yeltsin, he used the military to crush parliament and establish all the tools that led to Putin's regime. The man strangled Russian democracy in its crib.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2024, 10:24:41 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 09, 2024, 12:43:06 AM

OK, so GWB's assessment of Putin in 2001 is hilariously bad in hindsight.  Absolutely no doubt about that.

The thing is - A: hindsight is 20/20, as they say.  Trusting in Putin wasn't necessarily so stupid back in 2001.  The USSR had collapsed less than 10 years earlier.  Yeltsin had been - okay - as a partner but obviously had his own personal foibles (glug, glug) but the idea that Putin might be a someone the west could work with wasn't crazy.  Remember Russia actually did a lot to help in the aftermath of 9/11, in particualr in Afghanistan which he might have otherwise considered to be in Russia's "sphere of influence".

B: there's such a total disconnect between Bush's GOP and Trump's GOP I don't think any comparison between the two is fair.

Sure, I know that. Doesn't mean I can't use it as a counter example to putin-is-my-candidate's-handler Germany example.
I'll throw a reset button in too, for good measure.