News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

20 years of Languishing

Started by garbon, September 20, 2023, 06:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on September 21, 2023, 01:18:02 PMWe can start a Languish: the next generation. Those of you with kids have them start a new Languish.

Yeah, because if there's one thing kids really want it's to hang out with their dad's friends when they're in a mood to lecture and nitpick :lol:

Grey Fox

Maybe get our children to speak to each other?

Looking at my posts history and wow did I post a lot in 2009, ~1000 posts.

Usually, I find the tone of my past self to be quite annoying. Do you guys feel the same about your own?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 21, 2023, 01:23:38 PMUsually, I find the tone of my past self to be quite annoying. Do you guys feel the same about your own?

... I'm not going to look  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 21, 2023, 01:23:38 PMUsually, I find the tone of my past self to be quite annoying. Do you guys feel the same about your own?

Ugh, yes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yeah, I prefer not to read back.  :D Although I can use my improving English as an excuse.

PDH

I find that my posts from the past are as close to perfection as are the ones I make now.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

]

Past as in yesterday?

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2023, 12:57:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2023, 12:04:08 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 21, 2023, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2023, 08:11:19 AMOriginal post: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/iraqi-stuff-here-only-part-3.77090/page-99#post-1425590

(Account is unmerged, so had to use a quote further down to confirm :D )

Thanks.  Another member I didn't recall until now.  Which user with "Captain" in the name was the one we used to tease GF with by pretending we thought that GF was just a sock of the "Captain" poster?  Or maybe it wasn't "Captain" but some  other title.
Captain Crunch.

Captain Crunch was definitely both a Captain and a former poster, but I'm convinced grumbles was thinking of Gen. Wolfe.  It wasn't so much we thought one was a sock puppet of the other, but people would confuse their names, either accidentally or for comedic effect.  Think General Fox, Grey Wolfe, that kind of thing.

You are correct. Thanks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2023, 09:12:56 AMIt is kind of amazing when I think of all the things that have happened in my life since I started posting on Languish. Basically my entire adult life.

Love you guys. Here is to 20 more when we can start grumbling about living on a fixed income and chatting about our grandchildren.

Yeah. I literally moved to another country and back as well.

To 20 more indeed! :cheers:

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on September 21, 2023, 01:20:16 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 21, 2023, 01:18:02 PMWe can start a Languish: the next generation. Those of you with kids have them start a new Languish.

Yeah, because if there's one thing kids really want it's to hang out with their dad's friends when they're in a mood to lecture and nitpick :lol:

A New Languish.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on September 21, 2023, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2023, 08:11:19 AMOriginal post: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/iraqi-stuff-here-only-part-3.77090/page-99#post-1425590

(Account is unmerged, so had to use a quote further down to confirm :D )

Thanks.  Another member I didn't recall until now.  Which user with "Captain" in the name was the one we used to tease GF with by pretending we thought that GF was just a sock of the "Captain" poster?  Or maybe it wasn't "Captain" but some  other title.
Captain Carrot

I spoke to KainShinra once or twice on Reddit
PDH!

DGuller

I really came off as condescending know-it-all back then.  :(

Darth Wagtaros

Yes. I'd erase myself if I could.
PDH!

Savonarola

I enjoy reading my old posts.  They remind me of the time before the humiliating treaty of Neerlandida; before I led the 32 rebellions against the government and lost all of them; before fathered 17 sons with 17 different women and before I faced the firing squad; experiences which have left me the bitter shell of a man that I am today.

In any event here's to another 20 years :cheers:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

You couldn't pay me to go back and read my old posts.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien