News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best movies based on a music album

Started by celedhring, June 21, 2023, 06:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the best movies based on music albums? (you can pick 3)

Tommy (Ken Russell, 1975), based on the album by The Who
3 (18.8%)
The Wall (Alan Parker, 1982), based on the album by Pink Floyd
3 (18.8%)
Quadrophenia (Franc Roddam, 1979), based on the album by The Who
4 (25%)
Purple Rain (Albert Magnoli, 1984), based on the album by Prince
2 (12.5%)
True Stories (David Byrne, 1986), based on the album by Talking Heads
2 (12.5%)
Jesus Christ Superstar (Norman Jewison, 1973), based on the album by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice
7 (43.8%)
A Hard Day's Night (Richard Lester, 1964), based on the album by The Beatles
2 (12.5%)
Help! (Richard Lester, 1965), based on the album by The Beatles
1 (6.3%)
Magical Mystery Tour (The Beatles, 1967), based on the album by The Beatles
0 (0%)
Moonwalker (1988), based on the album "Bad" by Michael Jackson
1 (6.3%)
God Help the Girl (Stuart Murdoch, 2014), based on the album by Belle & Sebastian
0 (0%)
Other (name it)
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

celedhring

It's been a while since I posted a movie poll. Inspired by me seeing both Roger Waters and The Who live in the past few months.

Source material must be a rock/pop music album. So adaptations from musicals, operas, etc... don't count (Jesus Christ Superstar is a gray area because it was an album first, then a musical, then a movie). Neither do concert films (i.e. Stop Making Sense, The Last Waltz).

Many of the Beatles movies are not strictly adaptations of existing albums, since both film/album came out simultaneously, but heck, let's have them. They're The Beatles. The only valid choice is A Hard Day's Night, anyway.

Anyway, for me the top pick is Quadrophenia. One of the few on the list that would be genuinely good movies even without the music element. It feels a lot like a proper 1970s British gritty realist movie, except that The Who makes the soundtrack - which is awesome. True Stories is a close second, and if you like David Byrne/Talking Heads you owe it to yourself to watch it, since it's a rather obscure film.

Third picks goes to The Wall for having the best/trippier visuals.

The Brain

Jesus Christ Superstar is an awesome movie, period.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Since we have the Beatles, Yellow Submarine.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josephus

What did you think of Waters? Jooz giving him lots of grief
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on June 21, 2023, 07:28:30 AMWhat did you think of Waters? Jooz giving him lots of grief

I enjoyed the show. The long rants/vagaries were even midly entertaining - and he had a few good stories, a touching one was him talking about himself and Barrett riding on the train after a concert and dreaming about having their own band. Anyway, the music is just too good.

Admiral Yi

I did not know that about Jesus Christ Superstar.  Counterintuitive.

Sheilbh

Quadrophenia and Jesus Christ Superstar for the reasons mentioned.

And Tommy - what Ken Russell probably considered one of his more restrained efforts (it was, from what I understand, almost a warm up act to his film on Liszt :lol:). Extraordinarily lavish visuals, great music and an absolutely incredible cast: Ann-Margret, Oliver Reed, Elton John, Tina Turner, Jack Nicholson
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I liked quadrophenia much more than Tommy.  I thought Tommy was a mess.

Savonarola

Under the Cherry Moon; I can watch that over an over and still find something new.

;)

I haven't seen all of the movies on this list.  I really like "Hard Day's Night," especially Wilfrid Brambell's take on Paul McCartney's rabble rousing grandfather (I bet you're a great swimmer).  Ringo and John do a commendable job throughout as well (though George was wise to stick with playing the guitar.)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2023, 03:02:30 PMI liked quadrophenia much more than Tommy.  I thought Tommy was a mess.

Tommy (the movie) is not great but it's fun and over the top. I mean, it's a Ken Russell film  :lol:

The plot of the album is very ridiculous, and it works in the album because it's very allegorical and you fill in the blanks. The movie adapts the story extremely literaly (with some changes) and it looks very silly on screen.

As Sheilbh points out, though, the cast is incredible. Ann Margret  :wub: And Reed is so cartoonishly sleazy, too.

Has Nicholson ever sang in a movie besides Tommy?

Admiral Yi

Who Nicholson?  I'm pretty foggy on details.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2023, 02:02:28 AMWho Nicholson?  I'm pretty foggy on details.

Jack Nicholson. He plays the doctor in Tommy.

Pedrito

Other: The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

It stands the test of time much better than JCS or Tommy, and the music and cast are absolutely excellent.

Of those listed, Quadrophenia.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Brain

Quote from: Pedrito on June 22, 2023, 02:42:18 AMOther: The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

L.

Is it based on a music album?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.