News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Italian Politics

Started by Sheilbh, February 10, 2021, 08:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Cyclists can and do kill pedestrians. Seriously injure them too. 74 people cyclists die iin Canada per year according to Google.  Tragic but small. Stay on the road.

*edit* and 27% of those don't include vehicles.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on June 26, 2023, 02:42:34 PMCyclists can and do kill pedestrians. Seriously injure them too. 74 people cyclists die iin Canada per year according to Google.  Tragic but small. Stay on the road.

*edit* and 27% of those don't include vehicles.
All kinds of freak accidents are possible.
Regardless it's simple physics that being hit by something going at running speed and weighing just 10kg more than a person is infinitely safer than 1500kg going 30mph+
Checking up for the uk i see 400 people killed in collisions with vehicles per year with 2.5 involving a cyclist.

Do what is safest I say. Zero blame for cyclists going on the path along busy fast roads with no pedestrians in sight.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Getting shot is more dangerous than getting stabbed. Doesn't give you the right to throw knives in and around people so you feel safer. Roads are for vehicles. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

*edit* I can't tell you how many pedestrians are killed or injured by bikes in Canada as it's recorded as in incident and not a collision.  In New York " bicyclists have injured more than 2,250 pedestrians — including at least seven who died" from 2011 to 2018 as a comparison.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on June 26, 2023, 02:57:25 PMGetting shot is more dangerous than getting stabbed. Doesn't give you the right to throw knives in and around people so you feel safer. Roads are for vehicles. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

*edit* I can't tell you how many pedestrians are killed or injured by bikes in Canada as it's recorded as in incident and not a collision.  In New York " bicyclists have injured more than 2,250 pedestrians — including at least seven who died" from 2011 to 2018 as a comparison.

That's a terrible analogy. Throwing knives around serves no purpose. Riding a bike does.

It's not just my feelings that it's a grey area. It's in law as well in the UK at least. There are rules against cycling on the pavement and the potential for small fines but also clear guidance alongside this that it isn't meant to bar safe cycling on the pavement when you're afraid of the traffic.

I don't have numbers for it but I'd wager there's a few deaths a year from people on foot colliding with each other. Unexpected shit happens.

The clear solution is proper segregated cycle paths.
██████
██████
██████