News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 30, 2024, 11:01:11 AMhttps://journa.host/@w7voa/112706126374214898

Note you can already see the pro-Hamas wing of the Democrats are attempting to make this into their big power grab.

Mark my words, by 2028 the Democratic party will be calling for Israel's cleansing "from river to sea" and voting with Russia and China to delegitimize Israel as a country in the UN.

That would be just my luck. Here I am wanting the Democrats to be radical in breaking up monopolies and cartels that are hurting both workers and consumers in this country. Curbing the power and destructive influence of unscrupulous financial organizations. Ensuring our economy is immune to countries like China or Russia using economic leverage to control us.

Instead what they would get radical on is some endless foreign policy quagmire at the other end of the planet that benefits nobody here.

But I just don't see that cause getting much traction among most Democrat voters. Even those who get worked up about Palestinian civilian casualties whenever that conflict gets hot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I admit I don't care for Newsom.  I'm not keen on the "only sell electric cars by 2030" thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 30, 2024, 11:01:11 AMMark my words, by 2028 the Democratic party will be calling for Israel's cleansing "from river to sea" and voting with Russia and China to delegitimize Israel as a country in the UN.

Mark my words: in 2028 this post will still look moronic and shrill.  But, in 2028, you'll likely be trying to nail yourself to a different cross.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 30, 2024, 11:01:11 AMhttps://journa.host/@w7voa/112706126374214898

Note you can already see the pro-Hamas wing of the Democrats are attempting to make this into their big power grab.

Mark my words, by 2028 the Democratic party will be calling for Israel's cleansing "from river to sea" and voting with Russia and China to delegitimize Israel as a country in the UN.

You mean the GOP will, since Trump is in Russia's pocket.

Savonarola

Right on cue:

Pelosi: Some health experts think Trump has dementia

How time flies, it seems like only last week that "Whataboutism" was a terrible thing.

One problem with Nancy's line is that CNN (where this interview was conducted) has covered Trump's senior moments extensively.  In addition, prior to last week's debate, every article that they ran that covered Biden's gaffes featured coverage of similar behavior from Trump.

A second problem is that, as I'm sure Nancy's parents told her many, many years ago; (perhaps as they were listening to the Jack Benny Show or the Andrew Sisters on their radio), you can't build yourself up by tearing other people down and I think the same thing goes for friends or colleagues.  Even if some health care experts do think Trump suffers from dementia, that doesn't make Biden's behavior any less worrisome. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

What exactly is the take away here Sav? Nancy Pelosi should have said something else?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

I guess he means at this stage this comes off as "but the other guy is also demented"

But I kinda agree with you, what else is there to say?

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2024, 09:01:34 AMWhat exactly is the take away here Sav? Nancy Pelosi should have said something else?

Not necessarily; so long as Biden stays in the race this is the sort of thing that leading Democrats will say.  The part about CNN not covering Trump's senior moments is false.  The part about health care experts thinking that Trump has dementia is an attempt to dodge Biden's issues.  As I said there will be a redemption arc of some sort in the media; and here is one version of it.  I think it's important to realize how the story is being spun and how we are being manipulated (what William Burroughs referred to as the long newspaper spoon.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

The problem with the Trump has dementia line is it conflicts with the more obvious observation that he is a pathological liar and extreme narcissist.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on July 01, 2024, 09:51:23 AMI think it's important to realize how the story is being spun and how we are being manipulated (what William Burroughs referred to as the long newspaper spoon.)

I guess. Nothing the media could say would ever convince me that Biden running for a second term was a good idea. Certainly nothing like "but Trump is also and old demented fool!" as if Trump being an older and more demented fool than Biden is why I am not going to vote for him.

But, you know, have to vote for Biden. So I hope at least somebody who was going to vote for Trump finds that nonsense convincing and switches their vote. But highly doubtful  :lol:

I suspect it is just copium for us Democrats to feel more at ease as we sail into this iceberg in November than actual effective propaganda.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 01, 2024, 09:56:12 AMThe problem with the Trump has dementia line is it conflicts with the more obvious observation that he is a pathological liar and extreme narcissist.

Right? Him being demented might actually be a good thing if he gets elected.

Josquius

Trump with dementia would be hard to tell apart from normal trump.
I said long ago that mental issues are a much bigger issue for someone running on a platform of competency than Trump whose entire thing is chaos.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 01, 2024, 09:56:12 AMThe problem with the Trump has dementia line is it conflicts with the more obvious observation that he is a pathological liar and extreme narcissist.

And has been for his entire adult life.  If he is senile, how could anyone tell?

Edit:  as Josq just pointed out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

The story from the Biden ally that Biden is considering his options feels like the beginning of the dam breaking.  This seems like on of those cases that the moment you acknowledge your weakness, you're as good as done.

garbon

New Ipsos poll says Michelle Obama is only democrat who would smash Trump.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.