News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Old Geezer's Thread.

Started by mongers, April 02, 2023, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on July 22, 2023, 10:51:06 AMAnd I see from CNN that the latest trend is to make yourself a snack plate for dinner, Tik Tok it and call it a "Girl Dinner."  Whose life is so empty that they want to look at someone else's snack plate dinner no matter what you call it?  This being on CNN they kept going on about how this is profound change to the culture of eating; (and again, this being CNN, I'm sure the articles about the patriarchy and cooked meals or the racist origins of snack plates are coming next) but of course it's not.  This is a fad and after a few weeks we'll never hear about it again.

Popeyes has tried to get on the bandwagon and now has a Girl Dinner menu which is all sides and no chicken.  I really don't think that will catch on; I doubt even the youth of today is so pathetic that they'll spend their time looking at Popeye's side dishes.

Is popeyes any good?
One opened in a big mall here not too long ago and the initial buzz seems to have died down so was thinking to try it at some point in the future if I'm ever on that side of the city.

As to girl dinner.. I don't know why this needs be a thing. Snacks for dinner is fairly standard no?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Popeye's used to be great.  Now a pale imitation IMO.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2023, 08:03:05 AMPopeye's used to be great.  Now a pale imitation IMO.

Prices doubled and quality went way down.  I'm thinking that they must have been taken over by owners trying to cheaply cash in on the brand while driving it into the ground.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gups

All of the recent fast food transfers to the UK I've tried (Chipotle, Five Guys, Shake Shack) have been underwhelming at best. 

I was going to try a Popeyes while in Denver last month, but the reviews weree pretty dreadful so I gave it a miss.

Josquius

Chipotle is an American fast food place?
Never struck me as so. Thought it was just a shit British restaurant chain. It is very underwhelming indeed.

I've still never gotten up the guts to get a mortgage for 5 guys. There's one not so far from here too.

I remember there used to be a Wendys in Tokyo which was pretty good and there's talk of that opening in the UK imminently.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Wendys are already open in a dozen or so places in the UK. There used to be loads of them in the 1990s before thry pulled out. Can't really remember if they were any good or not.

garbon

Wendys in the US is good but I've seen UK menu is truncated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on July 24, 2023, 12:09:56 PMWendys are already open in a dozen or so places in the UK. There used to be loads of them in the 1990s before thry pulled out. Can't really remember if they were any good or not.

Didn't they also do some of the motorway services stations as well, back then?

edit:
I'm confusing them with Julie's Pantry, a Forte brand, which did do the motorways and no surprises as to what they were renamed by wags.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PJL

I'm always surprised that Wimpy are still around. I keep thinking they must haved died off by now, but they still have branches in the UK.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on July 24, 2023, 12:00:55 PMAll of the recent fast food transfers to the UK I've tried (Chipotle, Five Guys, Shake Shack) have been underwhelming at best. 

I was going to try a Popeyes while in Denver last month, but the reviews weree pretty dreadful so I gave it a miss.

I had Shake Shack a little while ago.  Burger was OK, fries were good, but the shake was real nice.

Josephus

There's a Popeye's on Yonge Street, right downtown Toronto. And the only thing going for it, is it's open late, like really one of the few takeouts open after the bars closed. So I've only eaten there after heavy drinking sessions. So really hard to see if the copious vomiting aftewards is the food or not.Could be.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

The fried chicken is ok. Better than KFC. Sandwich is where they shine.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

And now I see Twitter is changing it's name to X.  Since I don't use social media it's hard enough for me to keep all these social media companies straight without them changing their names.  As near as I can figure from following the news:

Facebook:  The place to go for misinformation; founder had a inspirational movie made about his life where he found success and fulfilment despite suffering from Sociopathic Personality Disorder.

Twitter X:  The place to go to get offended by every single last goddamn thing in the universe.  At least 50% of all news stories are about Twitter X.  Owner is secretly Iron Man.

Instagram:  The place to go to develop an eating disorder.  Founder seeks to become the Dark Lord of the Metaverse.

Tik Tok:  Tool of the Chinese Government created to turn youth in the west into complete and total morons.  Has proven to be incredibly effective.

Truth Social:  Platform for stable geniuses to deliver the bigliest truths.  Has only one user.

Typing this up I realized I am really out of it.  I don't even know which web site one would use in order to be pimped by a child sex trafficker; the very raison d'être of social media.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Rex Francorum

52 in a month. And I don't mind. It is just a number.
To rent

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on July 29, 2023, 11:11:37 AMAnd now I see Twitter is changing it's name to X.  Since I don't use social media it's hard enough for me to keep all these social media companies straight without them changing their names.  As near as I can figure from following the news:

Facebook:  The place to go for misinformation; founder had a inspirational movie made about his life where he found success and fulfilment despite suffering from Sociopathic Personality Disorder.

Twitter X:  The place to go to get offended by every single last goddamn thing in the universe.  At least 50% of all news stories are about Twitter X.  Owner is secretly Iron Man.

Instagram:  The place to go to develop an eating disorder.  Founder seeks to become the Dark Lord of the Metaverse.

Tik Tok:  Tool of the Chinese Government created to turn youth in the west into complete and total morons.  Has proven to be incredibly effective.

Truth Social:  Platform for stable geniuses to deliver the bigliest truths.  Has only one user.

Typing this up I realized I am really out of it.  I don't even know which web site one would use in order to be pimped by a child sex trafficker; the very raison d'être of social media.   :(

Did not know about Truth Social, thanks. There's a convenient explanation for my ignorance in the second sentence luckily.  :P

Welcome back to the King of the Franks!