News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Old Geezer's Thread.

Started by mongers, April 02, 2023, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2023, 01:21:46 PMCHanting is certainly one thing, but from what I understand about "sledging" (which is only based on Sheilbh's link) he's asking more about making funny and/or insulting comments only heard on the playing surface designed to get under the other player's skin and knock him off his game.

It happens all the time in American football.  The opposing linemen chirp at one another, even in practice. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2023, 07:01:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2023, 06:55:34 PM
Quote from: Maladict on April 05, 2023, 11:32:45 AM
Quote from: PDH on April 05, 2023, 10:01:25 AMI was arguing to argue. 

No, you weren't.

An argument isn't just contradiction!

Yes it is!

If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

And another thing: skateboards.  Back in my day it was the cool kids in Junior High who hung out and tried tricks (though in the early years carving was about it..) in the large paved areas, now it is a bunch of Middle School punks blocking the parking lots.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

In my college days backpacks held a few textbooks, maybe some dope, maybe some condoms.  Now kids are carrying Ranger sized packs crammed with god knows what.  And only dorks did up both shoulder straps.

Tonitrus

My school has plenty of Ranger-sized packs.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2023, 07:32:29 PMIn my college days backpacks held a few textbooks, maybe some dope, maybe some condoms.  Now kids are carrying Ranger sized packs crammed with god knows what.  And only dorks did up both shoulder straps .

Yeah it's like they're permanently moving house and one strap is the way to go.

Also back in the day the Real cool kids have leather brief cases. :bowler:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2023, 07:08:42 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2023, 07:01:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2023, 06:55:34 PM
Quote from: Maladict on April 05, 2023, 11:32:45 AM
Quote from: PDH on April 05, 2023, 10:01:25 AMI was arguing to argue. 

No, you weren't.

An argument isn't just contradiction!

Yes it is!

If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

That was never five minutes!

CountDeMoney

I'm trying to figure out when the whole "2S" thingy with tacked on to the rainbow alphabet.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2023, 11:06:25 AMI'm trying to figure out when the whole "2S" thingy with tacked on to the rainbow alphabet.

Two spirits - supposedly a First Nations idea of gender non-conformity.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So on that general theme...

So the term started as LGB - Lesbian, Gay and Bi.  Each letter stood for some specific identity.  So I can understand why activists pushed to add extra letters to incorporate additional identities, even though it leads to such unwieldy terms as LGBTQQIP2SAA.

But what about the rainbow flag?  The colours in the flag didn't stand for anything in particular - it just stands for "all the colours".  Which made it a pretty good symbol for what they were trying to express.

But then they activists added brown and black stripes to specifically represent black and brown people, even though that's not how rainbows look.

But then trans activists had to add their own colours too - pink and light blue - and put them in a big triangle on the side.  Which completely ruins the whole "rainbow" look of it.  Now it's just a bigmess of different colours.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2023, 11:08:43 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2023, 11:06:25 AMI'm trying to figure out when the whole "2S" thingy with tacked on to the rainbow alphabet.

Two spirits - supposedly a First Nations idea of gender non-conformity.

So I can pick TWO lipstick lesbians as my spirit animals?  I'm not restricted to just one?

crazy canuck

Did you ever feel restricted?

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2023, 11:21:26 AMBut what about the rainbow flag?  The colours in the flag didn't stand for anything in particular - it just stands for "all the colours".  Which made it a pretty good symbol for what they were trying to express.
I hate to tell you that originally all of the colours had specific meanings and it's the most embarrassing, 70s, San Francisco hippie gay meanings you can imagine - so we've all moved on and don't like to talk about it. Don't look them up :blush: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!