News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Old Geezer's Thread.

Started by mongers, April 02, 2023, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on April 29, 2023, 06:51:23 AMWhat''s up with shoppers and their screens, going to get a few provisions now entails dodging morons who Will not look up/away. :grr:

Pales in comparison to the morons looking at their phones while crossing a street.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2023, 04:05:20 PMI quite enjoyed the no bra challenge.

there's a new tik tok meme, I hear, where pretty girls wear see through dresses backlit by the sun.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

There's time when no amount of bile is going to top the headline:

YouTuber Trevor Jacob admits to crashing plane for views

QuoteIn a plea agreement, he said he filmed the video as part of a product sponsorship deal.

So, yeah, social media is evil, and every influencer needs to be caned, but why would you ever think this was a good idea?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2023, 02:31:45 PMThere's time when no amount of bile is going to top the headline:

QuoteIn a plea agreement, he said he filmed the video as part of a product sponsorship deal.

So, yeah, social media is evil, and every influencer needs to be caned, but why would you ever think this was a good idea?

You know, as punishment they should force him to stage a train-wreck involving only himself.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on May 15, 2023, 02:37:44 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2023, 02:31:45 PMThere's time when no amount of bile is going to top the headline:

You know, as punishment they should force him to stage a train-wreck involving only himself.

I think that that is precisely what he did.  His plan turned out to be a train wreck.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Made the mistake of saying in a supermarket, "do I need to give you a chit for that", for a free item I had, the young lad had never heard of a chit, I think he initially thought I was swearing at him :D

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on June 05, 2023, 09:35:15 AMMade the mistake of saying in a supermarket, "do I need to give you a chit for that", for a free item I had, the young lad had never heard of a chit, I think he initially thought I was swearing at him :D

Nobody gives a chit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

When does the old age slowdown begin?

Is it a conscious decision to do so or does age just naturally make your more easily fatigued?

I ask as last month I did about 1,200 miles on trains, 480 miles by buses/coach, 300+ miles cycling and 75 miles walking (:bleeding:) , much of it in the last two weeks of May and I think I found this too much at my age.  :gasp:

Should I actually think about pacing myself and slowing down the tempo?

Duque de Bragança

Even young people feel more tired after a few km on foot than after the same amount by train.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 08, 2023, 06:24:15 AMEven young people feel more tired after a few km on foot than after the same amount by train.  :P

As if by magic? :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on June 08, 2023, 06:47:47 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 08, 2023, 06:24:15 AMEven young people feel more tired after a few km on foot than after the same amount by train.  :P

As if by magic? :hmm:

:lol:

Judging by my parents and grandparents, slowing down is forced upon you by your deteriorating condition.

Savonarola

And I see from CNN that the latest trend is to make yourself a snack plate for dinner, Tik Tok it and call it a "Girl Dinner."  Whose life is so empty that they want to look at someone else's snack plate dinner no matter what you call it?  This being on CNN they kept going on about how this is profound change to the culture of eating; (and again, this being CNN, I'm sure the articles about the patriarchy and cooked meals or the racist origins of snack plates are coming next) but of course it's not.  This is a fad and after a few weeks we'll never hear about it again.

Popeyes has tried to get on the bandwagon and now has a Girl Dinner menu which is all sides and no chicken.  I really don't think that will catch on; I doubt even the youth of today is so pathetic that they'll spend their time looking at Popeye's side dishes.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on July 22, 2023, 10:51:06 AMAnd I see from CNN that the latest trend is to make yourself a snack plate for dinner, Tik Tok it and call it a "Girl Dinner."  Who's life is so empty that they want to look at someone else's snack plate dinner no matter what you call it?  This being on CNN they kept going on about how this is profound change to the culture of eating; (and again, this being CNN, I'm sure the articles about the patriarchy and cooked meals or the racist origins of snack plates are coming next) but of course it's not.  This is a fad and after a few weeks we'll never hear about it again.

Popeyes has tried to get on the bandwagon and now has a Girl Dinner menu which is all sides and no chicken.  I really don't think that will catch on; I doubt even the youth of today is so pathetic that they'll spend their time looking at Popeye's side dishes.

:D
I approve of this quality post, really in the spirit of the thread. :cheers:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Savonarola on July 22, 2023, 10:51:06 AMPopeyes has tried to get on the bandwagon and now has a Girl Dinner menu which is all sides and no chicken.  I really don't think that will catch on; I doubt even the youth of today is so pathetic that they'll spend their time looking at Popeye's side dishes.

I'd think that might also be a lame plea to the "guy with a vegetarian girlfriend" demographic.  :P

mongers

Why is hyping seen as so necessary; detail on the bbc site about a podcast/radio programme, no doubt perfectly interesting item, but is this needed:

QuoteBBC Radio 4History's Secret Heroes
Helena Bonham Carter shines light on extraordinary stories from World War Two.

8. Skiing Commandos
 Wed 31 May 2023

Can a team of Norwegian men on skis destroy a water plant in time to stop a nuclear war?

Download   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0fqnky7

The individual podcast listing isn't much better:
Quote8. Skiing Commandos
History's Secret Heroes

Can a team of Norwegian men stop Hitler from obtaining the materials to create an atomic bomb large enough to destroy London?

Helena Bonham Carter shines a light on extraordinary stories from World War Two. Join her for incredible tales of deception, acts of resistance and courage.