News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Old Geezer's Thread.

Started by mongers, April 02, 2023, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Inspired by Duque's post inthe TV thread, I thought maybe us oldens need a thread where we can aire our increasingly anachronistic views and so hopefully not clutter up other thread with one's outmoded opinions?

Also I gonna assume the young-uns here, Garbon, Shelf, Raz, Chipwick et el, won't be that inclined to post here? So will have to find other ways to boost their post counts. :D

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2023, 01:14:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2023, 07:25:12 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2023, 07:05:32 AMTwin Peaks.

A bit young at the time, but still aware of the new era of T.V, it ushered, as in more cinematic.
Rewatched it on blu-ray recently.
I think I was too Old for it, so never got into it.
:lol:

Already an old geezer by early '90s? Wow.  :D

Or was it Angelo Badalmenti's theme? Extremely famous.

I had more trouble with the third season, 25 years after, at least in the beginning. Ending a bit rushed (too soon?) as well but interesting.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Maladict

I came here to yell at something. I think. Kind of lost my train of thought here.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 03, 2023, 04:45:41 AMI came here to yell at something. I think. Kind of lost my train of thought here.

:cool:

Quality post, this is of the standard I'm hoping for in the thread.

Duque de Bragança

I thought this was a new Macron thread (the 40-something speaking like an old bourgeois lady).  :P

CountDeMoney

I'm wearing my anger pants, I just shit them and I don't care who knows it.

Savonarola

So I go on CNN this morning and I see they're running all these stories on the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship.  Of course the stories aren't about the game, even CNN isn't that hard up, all the stories are about some trash talking incident.  One of the LSU players, (it's not worth the effort to look her name up since we'll never hear from her again unless she ends up in a Russian prison, so I'll call her Mary Kate) was pointing at her ring finger near an Iowa player (I'll call her Ashley.)  While it looked kind of stupid; apparently this is some sort of serious insult in women's b-ball. That wasn't really the story either, the real story was that every twit on Twitter had a melt down about this.  Mary Kate is black and Ashley is white so CNN's pundits got onto their high horses and drew the same profound conclusions that they always do and somehow "Doctor" Jill Biden fits into this; but who cares?  It's women's basketball.

And another thing why is Twitter news? It's 350 million people who have nothing better to do than share pictures of Kylie Jenner's purse; who cares what they think?  The active culture yogurt in my fridge is smarter and has better taste than Twitter.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on April 04, 2023, 05:02:43 PMSo I go on CNN this morning and I see they're running all these stories on the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship.  Of course the stories aren't about the game, even CNN isn't that hard up, all the stories are about some trash talking incident.  One of the LSU players, (it's not worth the effort to look her name up since we'll never hear from her again unless she ends up in a Russian prison, so I'll call her Mary Kate) was pointing at her ring finger near an Iowa player (I'll call her Ashley.)  While it looked kind of stupid; apparently this is some sort of serious insult in women's b-ball. That wasn't really the story either, the real story was that every twit on Twitter had a melt down about this.  Mary Kate is black and Ashley is white so CNN's pundits got onto their high horses and drew the same profound conclusions that they always do and somehow "Doctor" Jill Biden fits into this; but who cares?  It's women's basketball.

And another thing "Why is Twitter news?"  It's 350 million people who have nothing better to do than share pictures of Kylie Jenner's purse; who cares what they think?  The active culture yogurt in my fridge is smarter and has better taste than Twitter.

:cool:

This is a quality post, just what I was hoping for in this thread.

Admiral Yi

The white Iowa player's name is Caitlin Clark.  The black LSU player's name is Reese something I think.

Reese did more than just point at her ring.  She was miked live, surrounded by her team on the court, talking after LSU had just won the NCAA.  She said a bunch of stuff about "respect my team" and "respect my name."  AFAICT this smack talk was totally unprovoked. 

What she seemed to be responding to was NOT some smack that Caitlin had instigated, but rather the massive hype that Caitlin (who is an ungodly 3 pt shooter and has had an amazing tournament run) has been receiving from basketball commentators. 

It was low class behavior.  That's just spite and not at all the way athletes are supposed to carry themselves, especially after winning a championship.  Athletes are role models so this is not just twitter fluff. 

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on April 04, 2023, 05:30:46 PMWho the fuck cares?

I do.  Anyone else who cares about manners.

PDH

Wait, whose manners?  Basketball in the finals manners?  Women's manners?  Black and white manners?  All of society manners?

I'm with Sav, but he needs a chill pill.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on April 04, 2023, 05:42:52 PMWait, whose manners?  Basketball in the finals manners?  Women's manners?  Black and white manners?  All of society manners?

I'm with Sav, but he needs a chill pill.

All manners.