How Well Do People Where You Shop Return Their Shopping Carts?

Started by Admiral Yi, February 21, 2023, 11:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3brJ2WSBpQs

I've seen this video before on shopping cart return as a simple measure of social capital.

I see maybe one stray a month.  How is it where you shop?

celedhring

Over here you have to insert a coin to get a shopping cart, which you can retrieve upon returning it. In consequence, compliance is nearly 100%  :P

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 22, 2023, 12:40:50 AMOver here you have to insert a coin to get a shopping cart, which you can retrieve upon returning it. In consequence, compliance is nearly 100%  :P

Strange. I live within walking distance of a grocery store. We have same coin system and yet we end up with many carts around my apt building. So many to the extent that the grocery store will send a worker around the neighborhood to collect them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

For several years I worked at a supermarket mainly as the guy outside collecting trolleys.
A long time ago now but certainly there were a lot of people who didn't care. And given I still see abandoned trolleys in ponds and the like, I don't think times have changed too much other than the idea of the big shop declining.

Tbh I quite liked it when there was a mission to walk to another part of town to collect a wayward trolley.

Even with the coin to release thing, which we had on smaller trolleys but not bigger ones, people would often abandon them. It was always a race with others working there to get this bonus. All too often it wasn't a pound but a pound shaped token. I have a huge collection of those at my parents place.

██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: celedhring on February 22, 2023, 12:40:50 AMOver here you have to insert a coin to get a shopping cart, which you can retrieve upon returning it. In consequence, compliance is nearly 100%  :P
Same here. I guess the smaller shopping baskets are stolen a lot though.

Gups

Josephus

It's pretty bad here. I see some people take them as far out as they can before they lock up on them. What I really find annoying are the ones that leave them in their parking spot, making it hard for me, or another driver, but mostly me, to park without having to get out, move the cart away, and pull in.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Yeah I don't see any any more, but you used to see loads. No idea why? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Near universal return. If you leave a shopping cart out in the parking lot here in winter a gale can easily blow it around causing damage. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Back in the 1990s and 2000s it seemed like you saw them abandoned all over the park lot.

These days they all seem to get returned to the little return places. I am not sure what changed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 22, 2023, 02:36:40 AMEven with the coin to release thing, which we had on smaller trolleys but not bigger ones, people would often abandon them. It was always a race with others working there to get this bonus. All too often it wasn't a pound but a pound shaped token. I have a huge collection of those at my parents place.

Could the token be turned into cash, or only store credit?

Seems like a good market opportunity for homeless people.  Like here I've seen homeless people collecting deposit cans and bottles from dumpsters.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2023, 11:36:02 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 22, 2023, 02:36:40 AMEven with the coin to release thing, which we had on smaller trolleys but not bigger ones, people would often abandon them. It was always a race with others working there to get this bonus. All too often it wasn't a pound but a pound shaped token. I have a huge collection of those at my parents place.

Could the token be turned into cash, or only store credit?

Seems like a good market opportunity for homeless people.  Like here I've seen homeless people collecting deposit cans and bottles from dumpsters.

Its a completely worthless hunk of metal shaped and weighted like a pound coin that works for getting a trolley. Who had the idea to invent this worthless thing and why people bought them beyond those that were from charities is beyond me.

Alas I only got one or two bonus pounds a month so I don't think it'd be that worth it for homeless people.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Reminds me of when the Mersey Tunnel discovered that they had about £100k worth of those counterfeit pound coins :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!