How Well Do People Where You Shop Return Their Shopping Carts?

Started by Admiral Yi, February 21, 2023, 11:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 22, 2023, 12:07:02 PMIts a completely worthless hunk of metal shaped and weighted like a pound coin that works for getting a trolley. Who had the idea to invent this worthless thing and why people bought them beyond those that were from charities is beyond me.

Alas I only got one or two bonus pounds a month so I don't think it'd be that worth it for homeless people.

Where do shoppers get this completely worthless hunk of metal to put in the shopping cart stands? 

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2023, 12:23:11 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 22, 2023, 12:07:02 PMIts a completely worthless hunk of metal shaped and weighted like a pound coin that works for getting a trolley. Who had the idea to invent this worthless thing and why people bought them beyond those that were from charities is beyond me.

Alas I only got one or two bonus pounds a month so I don't think it'd be that worth it for homeless people.

Where do shoppers get this completely worthless hunk of metal to put in the shopping cart stands? 

I recall seeing charity fundraisers selling them. I think general tat shops have them too?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah they are very much not described as "fake pound coins" but actually just fake pound coins :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

So if I visit the UK and want to put my groceries in a cart, I first have to go to a charity or "tat" shop to buy the slug? :unsure:

A shining example of British industrial efficiency.

Josquius

Or you can just use a normal pound or euro.

The only possible value in the tokens I can think is to make sure you don't spend it and always have one in the car.

That and apparently conning scousers who don't do the most basic of checks on coins.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Well also, they cost less than a pound. You get a multipack for a quid.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2023, 12:34:59 PMWell also, they cost less than a pound. You get a multipack for a quid.

Well that certainly makes more sense from the shoppers pov.  Your cart theft is being subsidized.  And I can understand the charities pov, because they're taking a cut.

What I don't get is the grocery stores pov.  What possible motivation do they have to subsidize cart theft?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2023, 12:23:11 PM

My housing association gave one to all tenants with their branding on it. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2023, 12:59:59 PMWhat I don't get is the grocery stores pov.  What possible motivation do they have to subsidize cart theft?

Pretty sure from the grocery stores' POV it's a problem. The mechanisms on the carts can distinguish between real and fake coins, and thus the scheme for encouraging cart return is rendered useless. But what can they do about it?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2023, 01:25:31 PMPretty sure from the grocery stores' POV it's a problem. The mechanisms on the carts can distinguish between real and fake coins, and thus the scheme for encouraging cart return is rendered useless. But what can they do about it?

Only allow real money in the stands.

Sheilbh

I actually think stores are starting to get rid of them because they're inconvenient but also we're a pretty cashless economy so people don't necessarily always remember to have a coin.

A bit like parking meters moving to text.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2023, 01:27:32 PMOnly allow real money in the stands.

Well yes.

Do you know of a mechanism that can distinguish between a pound coin and a lump of metal the same shape and weight as a pound coin, while being cost-effective to implement?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2023, 01:31:30 PMWell yes.

Do you know of a mechanism that can distinguish between a pound coin and a lump of metal the same shape and weight as a pound coin, while being cost-effective to implement?

Ah, I see your point.  I've always assumed machines like self check out stands could distinguish but I really don't know.

So in effect charities and tats (I guess we call those convenience stores or bodegas?) are running a hustle on supermarkets.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2023, 01:34:53 PMAh, I see your point.  I've always assumed machines like self check out stands could distinguish but I really don't know.

So in effect charities and tats (I guess we call those convenience stores or bodegas?) are running a hustle on supermarkets.

Yeah basically that's my understanding.

Also, I think tat = "tchotckes" / "bric-a-brac" ... so I think tat-shops are basically dollar store equivalents, or as you say convenience stores / bodegas.

Sheilbh

Yeah pound stores here.

I think we'd call convenience store/bodegas corner shops. At least based on whenever the internet in New York decides to have a bout of bodega discourse :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!